cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband since 8/4/24 Glasgow G53

fm117
Joining in

Has anyone else been having broadband issues in Glasgow G53 for the last 3 days?

I've contacted support and they say they are aware of the issue and the that a technician is in the area and working on the problem. This has been the same message and info. I've been give for the last 3 days with a sliding timescale of 4 to 8 hrs until its fixed. Ive received a couple of text message updates saying the problem has been resolved when it clearly hasn't. They have offered to send out a dongle to allow Internet access in the short term and I've been given a 6hr window for delivery but I've been forced to work away from home due to the outage and I just hope they'll be able to post it through the letterbox.

Customer services were unable to say what the actual problem is but all diagnostic checks I've done show the Hub is disconnected with no broaband signal getting through. They will not commit to sending out an engineer to inspect/repair the Hub due to costs and I now have zero confidence in the issue being resolved any time soon.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and how long it took to resolve?

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No home Tech visits are scheduled until any "known issues" are corrected" (makes sense)

If you call the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - it usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

The "compensation "timer" can also be started on this number if appropriate.  See this re compensation

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation
https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

But at best these are just guesstimates depending on what the fault is (and CS will not know what that is)...  and if its like the one below - its not surprising no one knows for sure.

VM Cable being repaired.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John.

The Service Status hotline you referred to says there are no known faults within my postcode area. However, the online Service Status through My Virgin Media contradicts that by stating there is a broadband issue... "Outage identified and Raised". There is a "hope to fix this by" date and time but that has changed at least 8 times since I first reported it.

I registered for loss of service compensation when I reported the problem but this doesn't account for the costs associated with not being able to work from home.

Thanks again for your help.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK - that suggests your issue is more "widespread" (like in the photo) rather than restricted to one two street cabinets.  I take it all your neighbours are having the same issue ?

The "dongle" option is the usual response when they Know" its not going to be a quick fix.

A VM person may be able to update you here - but they can take 2 or 3 days to respond on this forum.

Meanwhile - what Hub model is it and what colour lights are showing - steady or flashing ?  If there are no lights showing/doing anything - then you may have a secondary Hub issue after all - are your neighbours still being affected - or are they back up perhaps?

Downdetector.co.uk is reporting No known VM BB issues?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is another post in the Speed forum from a Glasgow user though...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/No-internet-in-Glasgow-G52-postcode/td-p/5508678

--------------------
John
--------------------

glasgowguy
Tuning in

I'm also in Glasgow and I've had no service since yesterday morning. I've also got no phone or TV either. The estimated fix time keeps slipping. First it was 6pm yesterday, then 11pm, then 11am this morning and now it's 1pm this afternoon.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @fm117 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Apologies for any service issues.

I've done a check on your services today and can see no issues or outages. 

Hopefully this means all fixed but do please keep us posted if you need further help.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill