cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Routing Issue

plynch66
Dialled in

Hi,

I believe there is a routing issue with the Virgin network which is preventing me from accessing my work e-mail. I am trying to connect to 'id.nordcloud.com' but the connection times out. This problem only started today and has been working fine for over a year.

Using traceroute on my PC, I can see that the packets never get beyond 'bagu-core-2b-ae91-650.network.virginmedia.net'

If I connect my work laptop to my mobile data hotspot, the traceroute completes successfully.

I did try the Virgin support WhatsApp chat function but they tried to sell me Wi-Fi pods to 'solve the issue' and then offered to send out a free coaxial cable instead......sigh.....

Is anyone here able to escalate this issue for me ?

Thanks,

Paultracert.png

68 REPLIES 68

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

looks like a VM routing issue 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

I can ping id.nordcloud.com & get a 100% response, for me the host is reachable & responding.

If this has worked fine for some time, it could be an email server fault that has yet to be acknowledged.

Hi,

I can only assume that your ping takes a different route to mine then. What hops do you see if you perform a traceroute to that endpoint ? It's actually a web based authentication service not an e-mail server.

Both ping and traceroute traffic are 100% successful if I use my mobile hotspot.

Paul

Client62
Legend

C:\Users\Philip>tracert id.nordcloud.com

Tracing route to a9d4dea8e2661b2ed.awsglobalaccelerator.com [3.33.152.248]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 15 ms 14 ms 12 ms nrth-core-2a-ae54-650.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.64.77]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 34 ms 24 ms 16 ms brhm-ic-3-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.126]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 30 ms 29 ms 26 ms 54.239.101.47
12 21 ms 20 ms 31 ms 54.239.101.126
13 20 ms 21 ms 17 ms a9d4dea8e2661b2ed.awsglobalaccelerator.com [3.33.152.248]

Trace complete.

The web page works for me ( in both Firefox & Edge ) ...

Client62_0-1713269790460.png

Client62
Legend

In practice tracert and traceroute are not dependable diagnostic tools.

tracert ( Windows ) on my HP Workstation produced the result above that appears to have reached the destination.

traceroute( Ubuntu) in VMware on the same HP Workstation vanished over the horizon at 30 hops with no end in sight.

However the Ubuntu VM can ping and promptly display id.nordcloud.com in Opera and Firefox.

shands64
Tuning in

I've got exactly the same issue as you - with packets being lost by exactly the same router that you've specified (bagu-core-2b-ae91-650.network.virginmedia.net [80.5.162.69]) for *some* hosts.

For me, it's affecting anything that happens to reside in the AWS euw1-az1 datacentre (annoyingly, it's one of the primary DC that I'm using to do my job!).

Other sites affected - I can't route to bitbucket (which resides in AWS), or use any Okta SSO (you guessed it, also in AWS).

24-hour was the quoted response time for my ticket.

shands64
Tuning in

Oh, and the first bit, "bagu", denotes where their router is (in this case, Baguley in Wythenshawe) so I'd guess (like me), you're local(ish) to there too.

Hi,

As I suspected, your traffic is taking a different route (in your case via nrth-core-2a-ae54-650.network.virginmedia.net) and then onwards. 

I see the same results regardless of whether I use tracert in Windows or tracepath and traceroute in Ubuntu.

It's definitely a routing issue with VM

Paul

Hi,

Yes, just a bit further along the M56 towards Warrington. The service I'm trying to connect to (id.nordcloud.com) is actually a CNAME to 'a9d4dea8e2661b2ed.awsglobalaccelerator.com' so I'm presumably being routed to my nearest AWS datacentre in Europe. 

You would like to think that VM have some form of monitoring in place that would flag up issues such as this.....

Paul