cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Filtering Ethernet Port

Peter_Mc
Tuning in

Hi All,

I’m currently installing Outdoor Wireless Access Point by Ethernet cable for a friend and want to eliminate anyone simply plugging the Ethernet cable into a laptop device to gain access to the network.

I know it’s possible to filter MAC addresses by WIFI but is it possible to set-up one of the Ethernet ports on the VM router so only the access point MAC address can access the network and all other MAC addresses are blocked?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

What you suggest is not possible on a VM Hub.

But if it was and one could granted access for just one MAC on a specific network port, I believe that would block all the traffic from all of the external AP's Wi-Fi clients ( each Wi-Fi client has its own MAC / own Random MAC ).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Client62
Legend

What you suggest is not possible on a VM Hub.

But if it was and one could granted access for just one MAC on a specific network port, I believe that would block all the traffic from all of the external AP's Wi-Fi clients ( each Wi-Fi client has its own MAC / own Random MAC ).

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t think about that but that issue could be easily rectified with whitelisting the devices MAC’s on VM Hub that connect to Wireless AP (main purpose is for a couple Wireless security camera’s to connect to it)

A shame the VM Hub cannot manage Ethernet ports / have an option to block all unknown MAC addresses for extra layer of security 

I appreciate the reply.

Many thanks