cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 update broke 2.5Gbps port

Jacksbabypig
Joining in

A week or two ago, my Hub 5 did a system update (in the middle of an online game, as an added bonus) and when it restarted the 2.5Gbps ethernet port was essentially useless. My PC is plugged into this port and was unable to even reliably connect to 192.168.0.1. There was still some data coming through - I was able to remain on a discord call and people could hear me just fine, but all incoming voice was a garbled mess so I guess I had upload speed but virtually no download.

Tried a different cable, same result. Switched to a 1Gbps port and everything works fine, but since my download speed is around 1.1Gbps I'm not really ok with the only port I have capable of handling that speed not functioning.

A factory reset fixed the issue, but the Hub 5 updated again last night and my 2.5Gbps port is again broken.

Any idea how to stop this from happening? I can do another factory reset but I don't want to have to factory reset my router after every update. Current software version is LG-RDK_7.6.15-2306.5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Refer to this thread's comments about this recent firmware update and 802.03az (Energy Efficient Ethernet) for the 2.5Gb/s port

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Hub-5-Firmware-Upgrade/td-p/5480079

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

25 REPLIES 25

Client62
Legend

Refer to this thread's comments about this recent firmware update and 802.03az (Energy Efficient Ethernet) for the 2.5Gb/s port

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Hub-5-Firmware-Upgrade/td-p/5480079

That seems to have sorted it, thanks! 

Hi @Jacksbabypig,

Thanks for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear of your recent Hub 5 issues. However, I'm glad to hear that the help that @Client62 pointed you towards has been able to assist you in getting this resolved.

Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thackers
Tuning in

These latest firmware updates are so frustrating.

My hub 5 has done the same again today.

factory resetting the hub every time is not sustainable.

also my 2.5Gb DLink network switch is unmanaged so I can’t switch off 

802.03az (Energy Efficient Ethernet)

why do virgin software developers do this to consumers .

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suppose they don't think users have 2.5Gb switches, and if they do they should buy +£300 managed ones .... <sigh>

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its beginning to look a lot like a **bleep** up 😱

You can think how VM let this slip "during are testing we found the 2.5Gb port didn't work we put this down to are hardware for testing not compatible however the 1Gb ports work so it passed are test!"  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thackers
Tuning in

Totally agree.

Virgin now offering 2Gb packages on the Hub 5x would make you think the level of testing for this kind of thing a priority.

I hope it gets sorted soon 

Thackers
Tuning in

Maybe virgin could supply me a managed multi gig switch so I can disable this pointless functionallity 🙈

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm wondering if a SFP+ module based switch would be hampered with this issue?  Just a thought.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks