cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet sockets keep failing from router

leeds85
Tuning in

Ethernet sockets keep failing from router requiring me to factory reset, which is very inconvenient.  I discover too late that my CCTV hasn't recorded anything and I lose rules on the router that I've created.  Do I need a new router?

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Legend

Is the Router a 3rd party device that you have supplied ?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

sounds like your using router mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sorry do not understand your question.

1) Is the problem with the VM hub?

2) Ethernet sockets are always mounted in a device.

3) Ethernet plugs only fall out if they are broken.

4) Please provide some photos of the fault?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi leeds85,

Thanks for posting and sorry you're having some issues with your hub, are you able to answer the questions from Tudor so we can get a better idea of the issue?

Alex_Rm

leeds85
Tuning in

It's a Virgin Media Hub 3 and still in Router mode.  Wired connection isn't working again to any devices, with them showing as not connected (red cross). Last time it happened I had to do a factory reset and everything connected.  It isn't a cable issue. The wired ethernet on the router seems to stop working.  I don't want to keep on messing about with factory resets.

Thank you for your response @leeds85 Just to confirm, do you mean the port for the Ethernet cable connection is broken? When did this issue first occur? Are wireless operating well in spite of this issue?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

If the WiFi is down (no Internet) at the same time, it could be that the circuit is playing up and your network stats (upstream/downstream/network log) would be useful to spot anything amiss.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

leeds85
Tuning in

This is a wired issue, so WIFI is not effected.  The sockets are not physically broken.

The issue was previously fixed by Virgin support suggestion of factory reset.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

OK - so WiFi works.  You also said that a factory reset fixed it temporarily.  This suggests that the Ethernet switch section works.  But what could have happened when it goes down?   Is the Hub 3 warmer/jhotter than you would expect in which case the chip driving the switch is running hot after a while?  Does that make sense?

The joy you should receive from the Forum Team is a tech visit to change the Hub 3 (which is in any case a crap device).  It has a weak CPU, borrows processor power from other chips, has a tendency to overheat and is very bad news if you read the forums.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)