cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps cutting out - multiple "NOTICE ATOM is restarted" errors

adampryor92
On our wavelength

Hi everyone,
For the past few weeks I've been getting lots of connection drop-outs. During the day when working from home I will get at least 3 or 4 drops, and during the evening it seems to be much more frequent - usually around 2 or 3 drops in a 4 hour period.

I've checked my network logs and I can see 2 different kinds of "NOTICE ATOM is restarted" error:

• NOTICE ATOM is restarted due to Kernel/oops panic as part of Self Healing Mechanism, and
  • NOTICE ATOM is restarted due to RPC timeout as part of Self Healing Mechanism

When this happens, the green wifi light on the hub will flash erratically for a couple of minutes before going off when the wifi comes back. It should be noted that before this, the connection can sometimes become choppy before cutting out completely (very noticeable in Teams calls). I've been looking on the forums and I can see this is a fairly common problem that looks like it can be resolved with a hub 4. As others have noted, the wifi seems to go down and the hub stops broadcasting its SSID. Sometimes the wired connection will also drop.

I would really appreciate it if someone would be able to look into this and see if there's any way to sort this please - preferably with a new hub 4 rather than going down the road of replacing with another hub 3 that others on the forum seem to be having with little success. I've tried the usual steps so far (reboot, wired connection, good router placement, etc.) and the problem is still there.

I was actually offered a free hub 4 in June last year (without upgrading my package to Gig1), but when I tried to take virgin up on the offer I was told that I would have to take up a Gig1 package for that. The email says "Get a new Hub - at no extra cost" and "Claim as part of your broadband service". However, when I click "Get yours now", it says "We're sorry, it looks like you're not eligible for this campaign", and knowing that this would be a fix for this problem is frustrating to say the least.

This is doubly frustrating because late last year I actually cancelled a cheaper and faster 5G broadband contract with 3 after an outbound retentions call, solely because I thought this connection would be more stable.

If you need any more information please let me know. Many thanks in advance for any help.

1 REPLY 1

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The ATOM restarts are, AFAIK, the Intel CPU rebooting the kernal processes in the Hub's firmware.  It's much faster than a complete Hub reboot.  Generally it's when the CPU is overloaded.  However not all Hub 3s seem to exhibit this action.   

However, please post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks