cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband down suddenly

FrustratedX
Joining in

I have Hub 5, 1 GB. Recently renewed my contract after being on rolling contract for 2yr (7yrs total w/VM). This is my first full month on new contract

On Fri 24th Feb @ 5 pm my fibre optic broadband just dropped. Checked VM site/app - shows ‘no issues’. Manually put in my postcode & confirmed there WAS issues in my area. It said the issue was ‘identified’ and looking to be repaired by Wed 28 Feb 10.02am - 4 days time at the time. Complete zero service. By Mon 26 Feb, this repair date/time was updated to Tue 5 Mar 10.30am! 8 days time!

By now, DownDetector, Twitter/X & Facebook are flooded with complaints. Even The Sun made an article but VM STILL had ‘no issues’ on the website AND told The Sun there were no issues!

I rang up VM and they did confirm that there is some sort of issues with the cables, i.e. being broken etc. but from the date of my service going down to the date they’re estimating it being fixed, that will be 11 days!

That means my CCTV & Ring doorbell can’t be used (safety issue) all my Alexa’s are down, my smart devices like smart bulbs can’t be used as need WiFi, my Smart TV has lost most its functions and because I’m also on O2 for my mobile contract – I cannot get into the O2 app to check how much data I have left (won’t open), as I’m using the hotspot for my most important of needs. 

its 2024, they really need to fix up. 

does anybody have any advice as to what I can do, what alternative Internet I can sort out for myself in the meantime for all of these devices and what I should do in regards to a complaint as their compensation scheme is weak.

If you run an e-commerce store and have ti heavily rely on Internet, £9 per day compo is not going to cover the hundreds of pounds one would lose in nearly 2 weeks of no Internet

1 REPLY 1

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FrustratedX 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies for the issues that you are having with the service in your area, for any issues with the service we always advise that you use our service checker or reach out to our agents as Down Detector is a third-party website that is not affiliated with us. So that we can look deeper into this for you we would need to bring you in for a private message so that we can advise of any updates and timescales. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks.

Sabrina