cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parental controls still active when switched off

Joshymcd
Joining in

Hi.

I've been noticed that recently I can not visit certain websites such as reddit and any adult sites. (through a browser it give a ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR message).

I have never turned on parental controls and the sites not working are the sites blocked by virgin mobiles parental controls.

And going to my account settings and switch parental controls on then off doesn't fix it.

And using a vpn let's me visit these sites.

Anyone experienced anything similar or can help? 

29 REPLIES 29

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Joshymcd,

Welcome to the Community Forums. Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues accessing certain sites. There are a few things I'd just like to check with you so we can get closer to why this is happening:

• Is this happening across multiple different devices or is it one device you're having this issue with?
  • Are you having this issue when connected to both your home network and over mobile data?
  • Have you tried multiple different browsers?

Thanks!

Beth

Hi, 

ive tried the sim card in a few phones and the same results.

when i switch off mobile data and onto wifi it works correctly (also if i switch on a vpn while on mobile it works)

it happens through multiple browsers. (also two different reddit apps no longer work while on mobile data)

thanks

Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for confirming there. Sounds like content controls may be active on our end if that's the case and is happening over data.

I'll pop you over a PM so I can take a look for you.

Beth

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Josh,

Cheers for your PM; pleased to hear it's all been sorted for you 🙂

Give us a shout if you need anything else.

Beth

Hi, I'm following up on this same thread because, while not on mobile, I'm having exactly the same issue with web safe blocking websites with adult content while the web safe option is OFF on my account. This was not happening just before my moving home was complete, so something must have been reset after that, a few days ago. On top of that, I cannot turn on/turn off again the options: whenever I try to click on any of the 2 switches "Virus Safe" and "Child Safe", they won't budge and I will get the error: "Sorry the changes you made were not saved, please try again". I've tried logging out and in again a few times but the result is still the same.

It seems that this is something set up on your side as the previous agent from the Forum Team @Beth_G explained, so I would be grateful if this could be checked. Thanks!

Hi progettocrema

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of the content control issue. This can be done for your online account. From the post, it seems like you've not moved the online account over so I shall send you a PM now to assist further

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I'm having this issue too. I had this issue a few years ago and I have to keep calling up to get it unlocked. I've checked my account and the controls are set to OFF and sites are only blocked when I am on phone network, all sites work on wifi. I've also checked Google Play settings and the parental controls are set to OFF there too. The previous time this happened I could sometimes fix it by turning it on and off again, but this didn't work this time.

I would rather not have to keep phoning up every time I get blocked. It got tiresome really quickly.

Hi progettocrema

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, this was a Move and Transfer issue where we needed to transfer the old log in to the new account. Timescale is 24 hours.

Do check in if you need further assistance.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

This is also happening to me. I spent 40 mins on the phone trying to sort it out in the first place. Can someone look into it for me?