cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrified by the experience of signing up to Virgin - now can't cancel either

lorkers
Joining in

I wanted to move my SIM only plan to Virgin, as it appeared to be a good deal.

However, I have been so horrified and scared by my experience, I will never touch Virgin again.

And now, on the phone Virgin now tell me I can't cancel the plan I have set up! The answer I got was 'there is just not a button to let me do that'.

Virgin Mobile advertise ESims on their website, and say "new customers can request an eSIM for compatible devices during their purchase online or by calling 0800 052 0422" in Esim profile download | Virgin Media

I was hoping this option would pop up during the order process. It didn't. I called up to order one, and was told esims are not something Virgin do.

I asked to cancel my order, I'd made just 15 minutes ago, and was put through to someone who just said there was no option to cancel my order on their computer. The best she could say was I should phone my bank and put a block on the direct debit.

This was after an horrific experience with the Virgin website, which every time I tried to sign up repeatedly came up with an 'Ajax Error 0'. It took 4 browsers on two computers to find one that worked.

Wow. Shocking service, for a service I can neither use nor cancel.

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin do Esims! 

Not sure about during the sign up process but I do know they can be ordered via your online account.

But here is a warning.....New Contracts will run on O2 not Vodafone, so you need to to take that into account.

Can you cancel? Yes, you have 14 days cooling off period under law!

I'm afraid you have encountered Virgin's customer services who seem to have not qualms about lieing to get and keep a sale.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@lorkers wrote:

I wanted to move my SIM only plan to Virgin, as it appeared to be a good deal.

However, I have been so horrified and scared by my experience, I will never touch Virgin again.

And now, on the phone Virgin now tell me I can't cancel the plan I have set up! The answer I got was 'there is just not a button to let me do that'.

Virgin Mobile advertise ESims on their website, and say "new customers can request an eSIM for compatible devices during their purchase online or by calling 0800 052 0422" in Esim profile download | Virgin Media

I was hoping this option would pop up during the order process. It didn't. I called up to order one, and was told esims are not something Virgin do.

I asked to cancel my order, I'd made just 15 minutes ago, and was put through to someone who just said there was no option to cancel my order on their computer. The best she could say was I should phone my bank and put a block on the direct debit.

This was after an horrific experience with the Virgin website, which every time I tried to sign up repeatedly came up with an 'Ajax Error 0'. It took 4 browsers on two computers to find one that worked.

Wow. Shocking service, for a service I can neither use nor cancel.

will flag the thread to staff here - the info you were given is wrong in so many ways - i take it it was the offshore people - good they are not - useless they are

of course you can cancel thats your right under UK law - you have 14 days to do that - it may be that you have to let the order go through but ultimatly you can cancel in the 14 day cooling off period

the one thing NOT to do is cancel the DD - VM are poor in many ways but accounts tick like a swiss clock - cancel the DD and miss a payment and you are likely to get debt collection letters and a black mark on your credit file so that was a new low for offshore - wait for VM to get to the thread for better advice

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @lorkers,

So sorry to see you have been through this experience with us. 

In this case, we would need to do some digging into the account for you so we can help. 

For this reason I'm going to send you a PM. 

Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. 

Click this and you'll see my message.

Looking forward to get this sorted out for you

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@-tony-  And that's the last we will hear of it. 😐

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@enlli wrote:

@-tony-  And that's the last we will hear of it. 😐

thats always been true - i can accept that pm's are needed to get personal info from the OP but as you say the information trail ends there

how many useless posts do we see from staff saying they are glad an issue has been resolved - dont answer - its far too many but they keep the staff post count up - compare that to the number of posts that staff come back with info after the pm process - well thats easy they never do

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Wow.

Well, all I can say is if I can escape from Virgin, I will be happy, but even the tenacious sales team are refusing to let me go.

Thanks Adri for trying to sort this, but as your last comment to me was: 

> Please, use this number 0800 052 0238 to contact our Sales team, or go through options at 789 to speak with them from your VM mobile. They can provide full support with this order as well as confirm if eSIMs are currently available.

I'm afraid all the help you gave me was to give me a phone number to call.

I've now spoken to 4 people at Virgin, two of whom say eSims are available, just click on the website. One didn't have a clue, and one says they were never available. However when I click on the link on my account, all I get is a message saying

"Unfortunately we can’t offer you an eSIM right now. Give us a call on 789 from your Virgin Media phone and we can chat through your options."

I've been forced to deduce by myself that Virgin never actually offered this, even though it said it did.

I've also tried without success to cancel my Sim, Virgin just repeatedly say they can't do that!

Is there an ombudsman I can contact now to force Virgin to cancel it? Or failing that, it's over to Kate Morley Investigates at the Telegraph!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin did offer eSIMs then withdrew them when the move from EE to Vodafone was happening. When they reintroduced them they forgot to mention it to the support staff.

It may be that with the new move off Vodafone to O2 they have suspended them again (just a guess) but failed once again to inform staff!

Sorry, under 14 days and you can leave. 789 will lie through their back teeth to keep you. They seem to be a law onto themselves these days.