cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing customer, new deal?

wifflebob
Tuning in

Hey people! Happy New Year!

I think I know the answer already but no harm asking here!

I'm just at the end of my existing contract/deal and the price of my package will jump by £40 a month. There is a new 'all singing all dancing' package for new customers. I take it that I can't sign up for this new deal when my existing deal runs out at the end of this month?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as you say - you know the answer - existing customers cannot get new customer deals but you can try

you need to speak to UK retentions - not Offshore - once you have that then you have choices - see what they can offer - best to do some homework and see what other suppliers - BT - Sky etc are offering - may not be the same speed but thats not the point - if you get a deal then you can accept it or not

or take the slightly riskier option and give 30 days notice - that will likely prompt a call from outbound retentions [not guaranteed though] with a deal they hope you wont refuse - if the call comes its usually a one off and a take it or leave it - if you leave it it dies as nobody else can offer it 

either option would start a new contract

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as you say - you know the answer - existing customers cannot get new customer deals but you can try

you need to speak to UK retentions - not Offshore - once you have that then you have choices - see what they can offer - best to do some homework and see what other suppliers - BT - Sky etc are offering - may not be the same speed but thats not the point - if you get a deal then you can accept it or not

or take the slightly riskier option and give 30 days notice - that will likely prompt a call from outbound retentions [not guaranteed though] with a deal they hope you wont refuse - if the call comes its usually a one off and a take it or leave it - if you leave it it dies as nobody else can offer it 

either option would start a new contract

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony.
Sacked VIP

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @wifflebob 

Happy New Year to you too.

Sorry to say but the  new customer offers are just that, for new customers only.

However you can negotiate a new price and contract by speaking to retentions (thinking of leaving us)

You can check out the prices and what's available on the following page <<< Here >>> 

The lower price is the new customer price which as already advised you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price.

By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with. Have some figures for other providers handy too to use as aa negotiating weapon.

Retentions (thinking of leaving us) are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

The actual prices can vary on a day to day basis, if you are happy with the price quoted then accept it as it may not be available again.  However if you aren't happy with the price offered then phone again.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @wifflebob,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your current package. The new customer offers that you're referring to are for new customers only I'm afraid - we would offer all new customers a similar introductory offer at the time that they choose to join us.

However, we also have plenty of existing customer offers available too. We're unable to process upgrades from here, so I would recommend contacting our retentions department on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline) at your earliest convenience and they can discuss options with you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

9 years a customer paying £96 per month on Virgin Friends and family and they can't give me a deal equivalent to a new customer!? Shocking, spent two hours on phone over two days, some very rude employees as some great ones too. End result the same i'm leaving as you put new customer before 'Valued' customers! pffffffft

Under reforms brought in by Ofcom in February 2020, customers who are coming to the end of a broadband contract must be informed of the best deals available, including those offered to new customers.

Doesn’t happen. As in they won’t give you the same deal as good as a new customer.  I told them I was leaving and so my partner would take up as a new customer and get the better deal. They couldn’t do this as when she signed up they still were in the last month of providing services. They apologised even though I’d got an install date and gave me a better deal than previously offered but still not as good as a new customer. This was less than a year ago. 

I wonder how they are able to do that or does it require someone to raise it with Ofcom?

Never understand how loyalty does not get rewarded.

cje85
Trouble shooter

@MangoNo5 wrote:

I wonder how they are able to do that or does it require someone to raise it with Ofcom?

The Ofcom regulations require ISPs to inform you of the new customer price, but they don't have to offer it to you.

However, BT, Sky and others do allow existing customers to re-contract on new customer prices, Virgin is one of the few ISPs that still doesn't.

@cje85 wrote:

@MangoNo5 wrote:

The Ofcom regulations require ISPs to inform you of the new customer price, but they don't have to offer it to you.

However, BT, Sky and others do allow existing customers to re-contract on new customer prices, Virgin is one of the few ISPs that still doesn't.

Indeed this is the case, it is generally assumed (although there is evidence for it), that VM make a loss on the ‘new customer’ prices, but expect to make it up on the grounds that the vast majority of customers don’t actually leave at the end of their minimum term period, carry on paying the ‘full’ or ‘normal’ price, and that’ll be when VM actually start to make any money!

So ultimately, there is a choice, do VM charge everyone a fixed rate which makes them a reasonable profit, and run the risk of ‘new’ customers going elsewhere to a supplier who ‘seems’ to offer a cheaper deal (well, at least short term), or do they offer a subsidised price to ‘new’ customers, on the grounds that statistically the majority of them will stay and pay the full price.

Suddenly what seems to be an obvious open and shut case, become a bit more complex, no?