cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Months of defaults on my credit report for an account that was closed in 2022!!

shannon13
Joining in

I'm trying to contact any human in Virgin Medias complaints team, using the telephone number on their website has me going round in circles and not able to actually interact with a human being. Any help would be appreciated. 

I had a broadband account with Virgin from 2018 to June 2022. I moved out of the address and informed them of my cancellation. After a phone call with costumer services they assured me the account was closed and I would pay the final bill via direct debit. The payment went out of my account no issues. 

I was unable to send the Wifi hub back to virgin media due to various personal reasons, but the new tenant in the property informed me he would. Virgin media explained if I did not send the hub back they would bill me £40, I found this fair so would take the hit if the tenant didn't get round to it. 2 months later in August 2022 a direct debit of £42.09 was taken from my account. I thought that would be the end of it! 

I then received a cheque for £40 from Virgin Media, I assumed this was because the wifi hub had actually been returned and thought nothing of it. 

Now to this day. I am currently going through the process of applying for a mortgage so I thought I'd check my credit report from all the credit agencies (Transunion, Equifax and Experian). I usually use the one attached to my bank account (Transunion) which has always showed as a good credit score. Until, I checked the other two companies which show Virgin Media added a default payment of £40 to my account in November 2022. That's one day before I had set up a new broadband account with them for another property. 

I have no idea how they decided I still owed them money and why they didn't contact me about it. But I need this resolved as soon as possible. 

So now, I have  a completely ruined credit score, several defaults on my credit history and the possibility of my house buy falling through!

Is there anything that can be done to rescue this situation? And who can I contact to remove the defaulted credit off of my file? 

Is there any compensation available for this complete lack of oversight and astonishingly corrupt behaviour by Virgin Media?

Thanks for any help. Shannon

3 REPLIES 3

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi shannon13

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

We are sorry to hear there is a dispute on your credit record regarding a default from us.

We will send you a private message now so we can look into this further for you.

Please look out for the envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

TrevorBate1
Joining in

I'm in the same boat, and can not get any help from them. Its making me ill 

Thanks for reaching out to us @TrevorBate1, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of this situation, please check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Thanks,

David_Bn