cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about 18 month Virgin contract extension with 02 SIM

milco
Tuning in

I have just renewed my Virgin Media contract for a further 18 months. 

The best (i.e. cheapest) deal available meant having to take out a separate contract with 02 for a 250GB SIM card. We don't actually need this, but I was told we don't have to use it. Just put it somewhere safe.

My question is this: At the end of the 18 months contract with Virgin what happens? If we wish to extend with Virgin do we just enter into a similar extension with 02 and carry on as before?

Also, would it be possible to terminate the 02 contract after 18 months without  incurring a penalty charge? In other words, is the 02 contract which forms part of the 'special offer' also an 18 month contract? I can't find any specific reference to the contract length on any of the communications from 02.

Any help gratefully received.

milco

5 REPLIES 5

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Milco, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear there is a little uncertainty around your new deal. Any offer than comes with an O2 SIM means you'll be charged one price for your VM services and then another price for your O2 SIM. This part will be billed directly via them. 

In your contract information, there'll be a VM contract and further down there will be a separate O2 contract information sheet which will show the cost and term. 

If you have any further questions about the SIM, you can contact O2 directly for help on that. Their contact details can be found here

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

I've just reviewed my new e-contract with VM and there is no mention of the O2 element of the agreement anywhere on it. It just lists the services provided, relevant discounts, broadband speed information and the total monthly charge to VM.

I received an e-mail from O2 separately when I first agreed the overall plan. This highlights the order number, 250GB data plan and spend cap. Just before spend cap it has the words '18 months' - but it is far from clear that this refers to the actual contract period. Having looked at it again I assume that it does, but the whole message is clunky and poorly laid out. The VM contract doesn't mention the related O2 agreement. 

I just find the whole formatting of the two contracts and the way they don't really reference each other a bit confusing. Going back to my original question, I think the O2 contract is for an 18 month period, but it should be much clearer in O2's e-mail.

milco

Hi @milco 

The O2 one would be the same length of contract but apologies again for the confusion.

The only change should you cancel the O2 SIM at the end of the deal, is your deal wouldn't then be a Volt one when coming to renew, to answer the previous question.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for clarifying.

milco

Hi Milco, 

Thanks for coming back and sticking with us here in the Community. 

I'm glad John was able to explain things further for you. 

If you have any further issues going forward then you know where we are.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs