cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increase in less than 2 months of renewal

olisun
Superfast

Is this some kind of a joke?

I renewed my contract in 4th January 2024 and there was no mention of any price increase during the call.

And in less than 2 months I have now received a letter for a price increase.

How is this even allowed?

10 REPLIES 10

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @olisun 

Welcome back to the community forums 

Sorry to hear of your concern with the price rise. 

Price rise information was explained to customers last year when we introduced the contractual price change and we offered them a right to cancel without penalty. The price change is detailed within the agreed Terms & Conditions and would still be applicable.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

@Carley_S wrote:

Hi @olisun 

Welcome back to the community forums 

Sorry to hear of your concern with the price rise. 

Price rise information was explained to customers last year when we introduced the contractual price change and we offered them a right to cancel without penalty. The price change is detailed within the agreed Terms & Conditions and would still be applicable.

How do I go about cancelling my services?

You can't until your contract is near expiry then give 30 days notice, unless you want to pay a large exit fee before that.

I passed on a retentions deal and in my notice period after being with VM since 2007 (bar one year when RiverDelta CMTS was useless and then got replaced by Cisco (now Arris), so I came back). Offshore Retentions represetative still wanted an 18 month contract (a sticking point) - despite no new kit costing them - and I don't like agreeing a legal contract to an undocumented price increase amount with no escape clause. That would have been 2 price increases - and the retentions offer was still more expensive than local ALTNET that does symmetric 1gbps for £29.99 and BT FTTP where 500mbps can be had on deals around £30.

VM wanted £75.07 for 500mbps Broadband ONLY. Admittedly my VOLT upped it to 1gbps BUT VM always said VOLT was free and a benefit of being with O2. I've put up with O2 (rubbish data speeds due to overloaded cells) but that will also be getting the boot now on principle.

VM failed to notify my contract options and new standard pricing by letter or email yet again, and failed to inform me of my price increase amount by email or letter. Only when I went into the app did it indicate. I actually missed being exactly 30 days before end of contract pricing came into force.

The rest of the family is sure to change from VM as they have even more choices than me where they live and they look to me for advice as technical job role 😉 Similar, at my partner's house, at end of contract not far away, VM will get the boot there as well. So not a good day for retentions off-shore - they didn't retain a thing.

So they lost Stream Subscription revenue + O2 revenue additionally on my account alone. I don't think retentions will ring back, the offshore team were quite abrupt in their handling and first woman wasted my time and then randomly passed the call to someone else without saying why even causing me to have to repeat all the security question answers again and my best contact details.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you cancel your contract there will be a very large sum to pay. It’s all detailed in the Terms and Conditions, but I think it says you are liable for all monies up to the termination date of your contract.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

It's sad to hear you're looking to cancel your services due to the price rise @olisun 
Customers will not receive a right to cancel as a result of this notification because this increase forms part of their Terms & Conditions with us. As mentioned, this was explained to customers last year when we introduced this contractual price change, and we offered them a right to cancel without penalty. 

You may find that early disconnection fee will apply if you're in a contract, but if you would still like to give your 30-day disconnection notice you can use one of the following methods here 

These include; calling us on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other number and sending a written request to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. Alternatively, you can WhatsApp our support team on 07305 327 112. Please bear in mind the response will not be instant, but our team will get back to you.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

olisun
Superfast

I was on Homeworks (Volt) previously and was happy with what I was paying.

During renewal, my services were "downgraded" (removed homeworks) and my prices were raised by £6pm.

If the speeds were symmetrical, I would have probably let the price increase slide.

I have requested a copy of my recording because I vaguely remember the CS telling me that the renewal price is fixed.

Once I have listened to that, I will decide on the next steps.

But I am definitely leaving VM as there seems to be no ethics left in this company.

Hi @olisun 👋.

Thanks for coming back to us, I can see you have reached out to our team regarding certain requests in your post. They will respond in due course to you. Have you spoken to our team regarding the price rise to see if any active discounts are available to compensate against it?

Sabrina

@Sabrina_B wrote:

Hi @olisun👋.

Thanks for coming back to us, I can see you have reached out to our team regarding certain requests in your post. They will respond in due course to you. Have you spoken to our team regarding the price rise to see if any active discounts are available to compensate against it?

Sabrina

I have and the guy on the phone kept repeating the terms and conditions like a broken record.

But then, he was doing his job.

It has been 25 days since I made the request for some information and other than the automated email message, I haven't heard back from VM.

"Thanks for getting in touch with us about your Data Subject Rights Request, which we received on 01/03/24.

We'll get to work on your requests and we’ll be in contact within one month."

This week is only 4 working days because of the Easter holidays.

Can somebody from VM please advise?