cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Given false promises when taking out a contract (price increase)

Sinuous
Joining in

Hi,

As the title suggests, I was aware of the new price increase policy implemented this year, that's why I made sure before renewing last year (October) to make it clear that I'd only accept a new contract if the price would stay the same throughout the entire duration (18m).

The agent told me that the price "will be good for the next 18 months" and that when the price increases, VM "can waive it or apply additional discounts." 

After contacting CS, it seems VM isn't willing to honour the agreement telling me that the contract says there is a price increase and that there's nothing they can do about it. I believe If I was mis-sold the contract and given promises beforehand, and these aren't fulfilled, then the contract is essentially void.

I'd appreciate if someone can provide some insight into this sort of thing as I don't like being taken for a fool.

Many thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

How did you renew (chat, phone etc.)? What records do you have of the 'fixed price' deal that was offered? What details does your current contract document show (which you should be able to access via 'My Virgin Media')? These might help decide what you might be able to do next.

A 'fixed price' for the minimum term is not unheard of on here but is much less common than a 'fixed discount' which is often offered.

Staircase12
Joining in

Ah “VM "can waive it or apply additional discounts."

OK so they can waive it; or apply discounts, can; not will; which implies that they have the right to, well not decide to not do so, guess what will almost certainly happen!

Sorry, but you’ve been ripped off. You may have to suck this one up, but I’m sure you will take it on board when the time comes to renegotiate your contract with VM!

I initially spoke to them via chat, then transferred over to WhatsApp where I accepted the offer, the records are all still there. 

As for the contract, it's just a standard contract; £37 a month for volt 1gig (discounts applied until end of contract).

I asked a million times about the price increase and that you can't cancel anymore without paying early disconnection fees, and they 'reassured' me it won't be applied, but am I right in assuming that telling a customer "As of now the lowest price that we can offer you this package will be £37 and this will be good for the next 18 months How this sounds to you?" means the price will stay the same throughout?

what does "this will be good for the next 18 months" mean if not for a fixed price for the duration of the contract?

I thought the same and that statement is definitely not a strong argument I admit, but telling me that the price will be "good for the next 18 months" is pretty clear-cut.

We'll see how the official complaint process goes, either way, after 15+ years as a VM customer, that'll be ending next year.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you have records of the exchange with VM in the form of chat logs or WhatsApp messages then you may have a better prospect of success (depending what exactly was said).

Your route would be a formal complaint to VM first of all (a required formality in the process but unlikely to result in any useful outcome).

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

From there you can complain to the ombudsman

https://www.commsombudsman.org/our-process

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ Sinuous 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry for any misadvise provided whilst taking out your contract.

Can you advise if you have already raised this as a complaint?

If not, I'll be more than happy to assist you further via PM.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Yes, I've already raised it as a complaint.

Thanks

Raised it as a complaint, and I've got WhatsApp messages so we'll see what happens.

I'm also familiar with the ombudsman services, I'm sure they'll agree on this occasion, just hope it doesn't take months like it usually does.

Anyway, cheers for the help 🙂

Hi @Sinuous 

Thanks for coming back to us. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill