cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 day cooling off notice. Elderly father in law - conned

jmay
Joining in

Was in a private message yesterday and was supposed to be contacted back by 10am regarding cooling off notice.

• Started when my father in law rang up virgin as his tablet wasn't working at the weekend. We didn't know about this until yesterday when i was told he had rang to ask for a hub relocation, then it was he wanted his recabling done and also he asked for his broadband to be increased. ( this is when they finally agreed to tell me why I had been texted with new contract details and engineer visits as my mobile is connected to his account.) So we go around to the in laws and the engineer had just left, we asked what he had done and they said I don't know, nothing we don't think,  just had a fiddle but we will have a £25 charge. My inlaws said £20 that's what they said on the phone, no its £25 i said. So £25 for something that could have probably been done on the phone.  Or if they wasn't so independant and rang me we could have gone around and sorted it at no charge. I asked about the broadband  and his reply was what's broadband. I said its what you asked to have increased, his reply no didnt do that.  But according to them you did and now you are going to pay more money.  He said its going up everyone is paying more, so i said ues yours was going up but its going up even more due to you asking for an increase in broadband even tjough he doesnt know what that is.  I asked about the recabling he said what's that I only wanted my tablet to work. He is 87, can't hear on the phone ( hence agreeing to his last contract paying way over the odds as he didn't hear / know what they were talking about) . So yesterday I said well he has a 14 day cooling off notice, he doesn't need extra broadband speed  he doesn't need to pay more and he doesn't need to be entered into another 18/ 24 month contract. So going back to the beginning I was supposed to be contacted by 10am this morning advising if we can get out the new contract. Surprisingly or not no Private message today. So how do we get out of this/ enforce the 14 day cooling off notice and who do I complain to about the underhand tactics used on an elderly vunerable person, which is quite franly disgusting. Its happened once i will not let it jappen and tgem get away with it again. Thanks for any help.
2 REPLIES 2

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello jmay.

Thanks for your post.

We are sorry to hear the promised reply never materialised.

We can assure you my colleague @John_GS will get back to you as soon as he can.

Gareth_L

Well he still hasn't and I need an answer. How do we go about the 14 day cooling off notice       (or are you waiting so that this lapses) and who do we / where do we raise a complaint.