cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone on land line phone

hazelway
Joining in

Hi Virgin Media - my land line phone has no dail tone.  I cannot make or receive calls from it.  I have tried plugging in another hand set, but with the same result.  Can someone contact me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hazelway,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear your phoneline isn't working, how is your phone connected, is it via the old wall socket or via your Router.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul - phone is connected via old type wall socket.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for confirming this @hazelway 

Do you have any other devices or equipment  plugged into the phoneline at all?

Is the phone connected into an extension or into the main landline master socket?

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know if any of these checks work at all, or if anything changes with the dial tone. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley - thanks for your response.  I can confirm:

• there are no other devices connected to the phoneline
  • the phone is connected directly into the master socket
  • the phone is powered up OK (it's a Panasonic cordless type)
  • the master socket is connected to the VM cabling running into the house from outside
  • an alternative phone has no dial tone when directly connected to the master socket

Hope this info helps narrow down the cause of this issue

Thank you for confirming the requested details hazelway, I will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you to assist. Check the envelope in the top right of the forum when signed in for the message.

Rob