cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of caller ID and 1471

Matilda001
Dialled in

Ever since I had to change to the new fibre hub about 2 months ago, I lost caller ID and sporadic loss of 1471  which is giving me the following message

'sorry the last incoming call history doesn't exist'????

I had put off calling Virgin about this due to the dreadful service I have received in the past, but a sudden increase in spam calls and not being able to see the callers number on my screen prompted me to have to give in and call.

I have spent 8 hours on calls and chats to the call centre over the last few days and through live chat  and have had multiple contradictory responses.   I have been told that my phones are not compatible with the new fibre hub and that I would need to buy new ones.  I have already purchased 2 new phones and caller ID doesn't work on them.  Then I was told that there is an adaptor that can be used to allow any phone to work with the new fibre hub.  Why did the engineer who installed the new hub not state that my phone would no longer be able to support caller ID or fit the adaptor then?  Due to repeated ongoing issues, I think it would just be easier to remove the landline completely, but I got told by a rep yesterday I would get charged £627 to do this. Why should I have to pay a fee to remove a service which Virgin changed and essentially down graded by not being able to support caller ID or 1471?  In the meantime, I am awaiting an 'adaptor' which I think is just a replica of the existing wiring.  If that doesn't work, I have to endure another call to the call centre again. Being a Virgin media customer shouldn't be this hard. I tried calling about the loss of 1471 today and have been passed around as usual, put in endless queues and got nowhere.  The rep I just spoke to told me I would have a 30 second wait, and that he had to pass me to a 'secondary' fault team and I am left in limbo again for who knows how long.  I have spent the equivalent of a full working day trying to get issues resolved and cannot get out of the cycle as Virgin threaten me with a £627 bill if I dare to remove my landline from them.  Has anyone else had this 'magic' adaptor which apparently allows any style of phone to work with the new fibre hub. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just wanted to make sure the phones are compatible with out fibre line. Would you also be able to take a picture of the way the phones are connected to the back of the Hub please. I may need to send you a private message to pass security.

That way I can have a look at what is happening. 

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Matilda001
Dialled in

Ps....after a very frustrating 1 hour call during which the adviser kept saying' do not worry'. he then told me to dial 1471 and that it would now be working and that there had been a fault since the fibre hub was installed which he had now corrected.....Guess what....it isn't working and I still get the message there is no previous call history.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Matilda001.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sorry you are still having issues with Caller ID sand 1471 after buying new handsets.

Can I just clarify when the engineer attended, you were given an adapter that plugs into the Tel socket on  the back of your Hub?

Gareth_L

These issues started when the hub was changed to the new fibre one, I then bought new phones to try and counteract the issues, but they are ongoing since the fibre hub was installed. I don't know what the engineer done, he just changed the box and put in some new wiring and told me that was it sorted.  I didn't have to physically do anything, the engineer dealt with it all. He certainly didn't say I would lose caller ID or 1471 as a result of the new equipment.  The engineer did state that I would NOT have to buy new phones.  (I just checked back on a post I made around the time the new hub was being installed). So if that is the case, why is caller ID not working or 1471?

Thanks for replying Matilda001.

Can I please ask what phones you purchased. 

Gareth_L

One was a panasonic.  Does that matter, your engineer told me that I did not need to buy new phones. However after the loss of caller ID I assumed it was the phone at fault and went onto purchase 2 different handsets, neither of which showed caller ID so I then came to the conclusion that the problem must be at your end, particularly as the engineer reassured me I would NOT need new phones.  

I just wanted to make sure the phones are compatible with out fibre line. Would you also be able to take a picture of the way the phones are connected to the back of the Hub please. I may need to send you a private message to pass security.

That way I can have a look at what is happening. 

Gareth_L

Surely your engineer knows if a phone is compatible?  The engineer assured me I would NOT need new phones.  This has been ongoing since the fibre hub was installed in May. Everyone is saying different things.  If your colleage is sending out a magic super adaptor, what difference does is make what the back of the box looks like? I was assured yesterday that this super adaptor would make any brand of phone work with the new fibre hub?  Was that incorrect information?  Is this adaptor that is being sent out not going to work?  Did your engineer give me wrong information in May during the installation?  I have been without caller id since then. There is just no consistency with any responses, everyone contradicting each other trying to deflect responsibility.  I fail to see what a pic of the back of my box will achieve but lets waste more time on this issue, when its already been 3 months in the making.  

Thanks for replying. I just wanted to make sure you had the correct adapter.

Would you still like me to take a look in more depth?

Gareth_L

I have sent a pic of the back of the box via PM to you. You should be assuring me that you will do all you can to clear up this matter, instead of asking if I want to continue the matter.   Does this matter not sound like a complete mess, even today one of your colleagues told me that he had fixed the ongoing issued with 1471 not working and lo and behold, it's still not.  Alarm bells should be ringing at your end.  How much time does a customer have to give to get issues resolved, that is nearly 2 working days I have spent going round in circles.  I just want someone to explain what has happened and why I have not had caller id since the new fibre hub was fitted.