cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline removal

stuartgreen
Dialled in

I've had an email about being switched over to a digital system for the telephones.

I'm not that concerned as I've not had a phone plugged into the line for about 2 years now.

What I would like to know however is if I can remove the old phone-in box ot the wall and snip the cable back to where it comes into the house.

I don't use it and from march it will be dead anyway so I assume virgin won't care?

3 REPLIES 3

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi stuartgreen,

Thank you for your post. 

You are welcome to complete the work you have advised. 

We would advise to ensure you don't cut the broadband cable as this can result in an engineer visit. 

^Martin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Even if you don't use the VM landline (and have no intention of using it in the future) it is probably worth completing the switchover process and checking the landline you are paying for is in full working order post-switchover.

There are regular topics on the forum regarding 'phantom call' charges where the customer is billed for calls they have not made. In a good many of these, the customer never uses/checks the line nor has a phone plugged in or the line has not been in working order for a long time.

Under these circumstances, it is easy for an unrecognised fault to persist and run up phantom call charges. Trying to unravel these charges with VM after the fact is often not straightforward as the customer has no idea if/when the line worked, was working or ever worked as it has been unused.

For the same reasons, it is often worth checking an unused landline periodically to make sure it is in full working order.

Once the switchover is completed, the old telephone wall sockets are redundant. You could remove the old phone cables if you are confident to do so and at your own risk. You could alternatively pay VM £25 for a non-fault tech visit to do the removal if you preferred.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If you subscribe to landline, why on earth won't you have a working phone? I can be used to make free 150 calls to VM and it's always good to have it in an emergency.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection