cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline number port debacle - WARNING!

andyt001
Joining in

Hi,

A WARNING TO ANYONE ORDERING VIRGIN SERVICES WHO WANTS TO KEEP THEIR NUMBER!

I ordered Virgin services on 07/11/23, part of which was requesting to keep my existing landline number (porting from Sky). My services went live with Virgin on 09/11/23. This all went through without issue. When I received details of my new service, it included a new phone number so I spoke to someone on web chat who confirmed the number port had been requested and it could take upto 10 working days.

Now, 17 days after the order was placed, the number port still hasn't happened so I've contacted you on the phone to be told "there was an issue" and the number port hasn't happened. No communication to let me know this, just "I can try and put it through now and it'll be another 10 days". When questioned and pointing out this is costing me money as I need to keep the Sky account active, I get transferred to a non-existant department and get cut off.

I ring back, and this time speak to a very understanding lady who explains the previous agent was wrong and exactly what has happened with my port. Apparently, the fact you request a number port at time of ordering means nothing. The number port never got raised until I questioned it on 09/11, however, the person that raised it did it wrong and it failed the same day. Nobody communicated this with me and I only find out when I ring for an update today.

The solution, raise the number port request correctly today, wait another 14 days and it should be ok. All the while, I need to keep paying Sky to keep my number "live", Virgin's response, a maximum £5 compensation, for what could ultimately end up being 2 extra months I have to pay Sky (around £90).

Abysmal support, Virgin error costs me £90 and the best you'll get offered is £5 as a "courtesy". Insulting. I request to get transferred to disonnections / retensions or whatever you call it to then be told that because my services are activated, I need to give 30 days notice and pay for that. Again, abysmal. I now have a choice to pay £90 to Sky and continue with my number port or pay £90 to Virgin to cancel.

So, a warning to anyone reading this, if you want to keep your number, call and request the number port even if you ask for it on your order. Then call and call again to confirm it's actually happening or end up screwed as I did.

There's not a cat in hells chance I'll ever recommend or use Virgin again the future if this is their "support"

6 REPLIES 6

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi andyt001,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Very sorry to hear of the situation, and the delays regarding your number port. 

If you'd like to go ahead with the number port again please let me know and I can pop you over a private message to get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

I'm assured the number port has been raised again today, but that doesn't resolve the issue of Virgin's incompetence in raising it the first time costing me upto £90 having to continue to pay Sky until it completes.

I'm waiting for a call back (really not expecting to actually get one) from retentions as I requested to terminate my contract without any cost incurred to me, but was told I still had to pay as my service had been activated. I just find the whole situation poor, verging on a scam, being forced to pay for something due to Virgin's failures and others need to be aware.

I also find being offered £5 as a "courtesy" insulting. Virgin accepted it was their fault then continue to show how much they really value you by offering to compensate for that fault by offering to cover 5% of the cost that THEY made me incurr. Just goes to show how much customers really mean to them.

So I can discuss this in further detail I've sent you a private message, to get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

andyt001
Joining in

I felt it only fair to give a conclusion for anyone else reading this as I'm now satisfied with the response I've had from Virgin. Alex_RM was able to check and ensure my number port has raised correctly now (confirmed by Sky) and came to an arrangement with regards to overlapping bills because of the error. It's a shame all support channels at Virgin aren't equal.

Again, for anyone reading, if you're waiting on a number port, double / triple check to make sure it's been raised correctly, and don't be fobbed off if Virgin makes an error that costs you ££

Client62
Legend

This nonsense is why we use VM as an internet only service provider.
We ported three numbers from BT to a real VOIP provider Sipgate and we have never looked back.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for confirming this @andyt001 we are so sorry that this needed checking but we are glad that everything has been confirmed for you now. 

Thank you again and if you ever do need anything in the future please don't hesitate to pop back to the forums and we will do all we can to help.