cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a Landline Phone Number

coatonphillips
Joining in

I want to keep the old landline number that was at the property before I moved in and virgin staff appear confused does anybody know how to do this. Thankyou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless your name was either on the other persons bill or it was on your account, you would not be able to take over the number.

Number porting & transfer rules have never allowed you to do this.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@coatonphillips wrote:

I want to keep the old landline number that was at the property before I moved in and virgin staff appear confused does anybody know how to do this. Thankyou

Landline porting allows you to move an existing number that is already on your account to another provider. It does not allow you to take over a number that belonged to someone else. The former occupant of the property is quite likely to have taken the number with them to their new address if they have remained in the same exchange area.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

The owner of the number has moved into a care home so does not want the number anymore. But I would like to take it over

Hi coatonphillips, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear the agents on the phone are having difficulty understanding your request. Requesting a phone number isn't something we are able to provide I'm afraid. This is due to security and privacy reasons. 

The only 2 options we offer are:

• You can port your existing landline number over to your new account with us. 
  • You can be assigned a new telephone number when you have telephone added to your account

As it stands, you're not able to request a phone number from an old account, in someone else's name.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless your name was either on the other persons bill or it was on your account, you would not be able to take over the number.

Number porting & transfer rules have never allowed you to do this.