cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed for Lack of Long Cable

blarnnie
On our wavelength

An engineer visited Friday (24hrs notice after previous email said delayed indefinitely!) to do the switchover. My router is high up on a cabinet to maximise Wi-Fi coverage and my phone is down low where I can reach it. Consequently, the 2M RJ11 cable he came with was far too short. 

Me: 'Have you got a longer cable?'

Answer 'No, this is all I've been supplied with to do the job'

Me: ' Could you ask your supervisor/manager to get a longer lead?'

Answer 'No, this is the only cable we can get'.

Exit engineer, job not done, complete waste of Virgin's time and money (I was home anyway) because apparently only 2M cable available. 

A quick look on line finds a RJ11 cables in a variety of lengths to suit every home; none very expensive.

He left me a letter emphasising how important the switchover is and with a number to call to discuss.

This was just the standard Virgin Customer Service number and I could find no specific option for the Switchover. The telephone option was if you had a fault.

So Virgin, if the switchover is so important why are engineers not appropriately supplied to do the job and where is the customer service support?

Regards

Blarnnie

12 REPLIES 12

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You would have thought that the least VM should do is tell the punters whether or not it's a straight-through cable (it probably is but it's good to know).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Ayisha,

Are you able to supply a 2M cable? We were sent a box to switchover and the cable is not 2M so our wifi box now sits on the floor. If not, please could you advise which cable I need to purchase?

Thanks

Hi Rhi143 👋 thank you for joining the thread. 

We would need to book in an engineers appointment to arrange getting this cable to you and fitted. We will just need to send you a PM to confirm a few account details so we can arrange this for you.

I will do this for you now - you can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly