cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Hey TF1909, thank you for reaching out with your question.

We don't provide any handsets sorry its just the line rental we offer.

If you are looking for a VOIP line I would checker the manufacturer to see if they are compactible. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

BT Premium Phone Trio here ☎️

Mfr#: 090632

Please include BT 2500 trio wireless.

The IP landline changeover took place when I had a hub 3....there were no problems.

Hub 5 cause the problems. Is it not possible to identify the circuit or system that is causing the fluctuations from that information

Shouldn’t you be coming up with a solution and not tell me to buy new phones to sort out the issue?

if you are telling me to buy new phones - you need to supply compatible products that don’t give this issue. 

Hi @TF1909 

Our Voice engineering teams have concluded that the "no number" issue is device specific and not a global issue.

We will now look to explore the option to regulate the route cause, however, this needs to be discussed with the our equipment vendors and may take some time to come back.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

"Our Voice engineering teams have concluded that the "no number" issue is device specific and not a global issue."

Splendid, bring full focus onto the
VM Hub 5, it is the one common factor at the centre of this matter.

That certain BT Approved CPE are known affected is fair comment.

But to imply customers' phones are at fault would be quite false.

OLAcomb
Joining in

Since our recent transfer of phone and broadband to Virgin from BT we have received a large number of calls which don't ring but which show in the call log as "No number" . The time for each call always ends in a 4 i.e. 8.04; 10.24 and so on.

I can see from the forum that I am not alone in this and would be grateful if someone can provide a solution.

Hi @OLAcomb,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having a number of unrecognised calls that aren't ringing on your phone. Have you tested calling the phone yourself to make sure that it is able to receive recognised numbers? Are you experiencing any broadband related issues too?

Along with this, would you mind confirming what model of router you have?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Read message 539 - the common denominator is that Virgin Media made change.  It should have reasonably been aware of "power fluctuation" issues with the Hub 5 before rolling them out and informed customers (that Virgin Media forcibly moved from Landline to IP telephony) of the need to purchase new phone systems to be compatible with the Virgin Media hardware/firmware. it did none of this.  Instead it made the switchover and subjected us to months of chasing our tail trying to get Virgin Media to accept that this even was an issue. 

Now you have the audacity to suggest it is our fault for not getting a more modern phone system. At what point does Virgin Media propose this is an acceptable solution? 

You (VM) broke it, you fix it. If it needs a new phone system, you provide it - free (at least that might cover the extreme inconvenience you caused Virgin Media).  But no, you'd rather blame everyone else for your inability to provide a suitable service to those you have impacted.  Incompetent/Ineffective are too weak descriptions for this response.

Hi @Chris_Myers thanks for getting back to us.

I am sorry that you feel the way that you do. Our colleagues have thoroughly investigated the issue in question. They have not arrived at their conclusion lightly and I am sorry if you feel we as a company are blaming our customers.  This is not our intention.

Regards
Lee_R