cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best phone for 'landline'

ZebinBristol
On our wavelength

Two nice Virgin engineers came out this morning to diagnose the fault with the new landline. They replaced corroded junctions outside and the internal cable and gave us a longer one as well and still the fault persisted. Let me describe it to you, when you dial a number or use a stored number, the line makes a clicking sound in a pattern as if someone is dialling something else in the background (if you remember the old telephones with a dial on the front, a similar sound to the dial returning to position after each digit dialled). Anyway they then put an old phone they had with them into the router for testing and it worked ok. So they concluded it was the nine month old gigaset phones that we bought after the switchover that had the issue, probably in the base unit as the second handset made the same noises and didn't start dialling out for maybe a minute or more, just clicked away busily to itself.   So after that too much info explanation, can anyone suggest or share what phones they are using with the new system that are trouble free. There is so much misinformation out there that I think it would be really helpful if Virgin could definitely say which phones will work if one is buying new ones. thanks for any thoughts ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ZebinBristol 

Welcome back to the community forums 

Sorry to hear your about your landline issues, but glad to hear the team were able to identify the issue at the appointment. 

I would believe that most newer standard model phones would work. Though yours sounds like and all singing and dancing phone from what I can see on google.  

We aren't able to confirm which specific phones would be compatible sadly. I would suggest, if you're able to, speak with a store member to see what phones would be compatible with your own set up and with the new digital IP phone system that is being introduce industry wide. 

The community will also be able to answer and give advice further on what phones they have or be able to advise you further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ZebinBristol 

Welcome back to the community forums 

Sorry to hear your about your landline issues, but glad to hear the team were able to identify the issue at the appointment. 

I would believe that most newer standard model phones would work. Though yours sounds like and all singing and dancing phone from what I can see on google.  

We aren't able to confirm which specific phones would be compatible sadly. I would suggest, if you're able to, speak with a store member to see what phones would be compatible with your own set up and with the new digital IP phone system that is being introduce industry wide. 

The community will also be able to answer and give advice further on what phones they have or be able to advise you further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

ZebinBristol
On our wavelength

HI Carley, I am honestly baffled why Virgin Media can't confirm what phones are compatible. My husband has spent hours now on Argos and Panasonic, reading reviews on Amazon, about connecting via the virgin hub and some say the phones are fine, some say you can use BT phones, some say you can't. Panasonic say you can't use any of their phones via a hub, other people say you can. Surely by now you must have some idea of what works and how could you and BT have rolled this out without supporting your customers properly.  I really just am baffled. No one else has replied and I am forced therefore to go and purchase on spec, and try out and return and spend my days trying to get this to work. 😞

We tested it by dialling one of our mobile numbers from the engineers old phone and it worked as it should do, no sounds, delays etc. Do you have a phone that you can recommend?

I would advise going on to Google and having a quick search lots of phones that are 21CV do come up.

Try Argos, Amazon etc. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

ZebinBristol
On our wavelength

Update : B has been to both Currys who ignored him and to John Lewis who were as usual doing their best to be helpful.  They called Panasonic technical, they have a different line, who said that in their opinion any modern phone produced in the last few years will work with the correct adaptor to adapt the phone to the modem.  If it is a panasonic then the code on the  model number will tell you.  You need to get the most up to date ones you can.  So we have got one of these to try. Will pop back if it doesn't work.  We have a new adaptor as of yesterday from the engineers who came, so cross fingers for us. 

the problem is with googling and the rest is that you read the reviews of the phones and different people say different things... we have done all of that anyway if you read my reply to your colleague 🙂

We can't really advise a phone, if you pop down to your locals Currys etc they would advise you the best one. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

ZebinBristol
On our wavelength

Also a consumer point, be very careful who you purchase through, if you purchase through Amazon, they refund the price paid if it proves faulty within the warranty period and they don't have an identical model in stock,  however if you go direct to some suppliers they will only offer you a replacement which is their perogative of course. Ask what the terms of any guarantee are before you purchase.

Please do keep us updated on what phone you manage to get in the end. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?