cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS Mail Settings

Shozer
Tuning in

Yesterday my email account was locked by VM, and I was made to change my email username (it used to be my Blueyonder email address - but these are no longer allowed as Usernames apparently). Webmail is fine, as is receiving email via Mail on my iPhone, but sending emails via Mail on my iPhone no longer works.

The only setting I have changed is my Username - the other settings are as per the VM recommendations ie. 

SMTP settings

• Host name:  smtp.virginmedia.com

• Username: your full Virgin Media email address (I've had to use another username - as VM no longer allow your VM email address as your username. Although I have tried both and neither work).

• Password: your Virgin Media email app password

• SSL encryption: Enabled

• Port: 465 (this might not be selected automating by enabling SSL, so please check)

• Authentication: Password

Does anyone have any suggestions please ??

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Shozer When using an email client to access the email account you should still use the blueyonder email address as the username.  The third party username is only used for My VM and VM webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Prompt in Window or otherwise Terminal application. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:rotavator-racecar-tenet-repaper:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the unredacted or incorrectly redacted output here will likely reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise an unsuccessful result will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Thanks - I will try again, but I had tried both, and the third party username does seem to work for the Incoming mail settings (IMAP).