cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email domain - proplems receiving email to this domain from certain senders

greig2000_uk
On our wavelength

Hi,

I have a couple of problems receiving emil to my .blueyonder account. The account is over 20 years old , is set up properly and has worked pretty much on the ball up to a year, maybe 1.5 years ago.

The fist thing I noticed was  emails arriving late but got used to that and didnt mind. Until I needed the emails to arrive in time for online sign in "one time password" emails sent to me (which have a time limit to them). On top of this these emails would send to my spam folder and no matter the settings I could not ok them from the virgin online email server. These emails would never reach my other devices so I never noticed till I started trying to trace the problem, could have been going on for longer than I think.

The other (main) problem I have is emails just not arriving at all from on line companies that I have been expecting mail from. These companies have stated that the blueyonder domain is the problem and I need to talk to Virgin to get it sorted.In the mean time I have had to start changing email addresses for these companies to send me email but would rather my prefered email domain sort the problem as it is a service I pay for but dont fully receive.

Getting in touch with virgin is a nightmare now, but getting intouch with someone who would know what I was talking about gives me a headache thinking about it.

Has anyone had any of these issues or any advice on who to contact...

any advice appreciated 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@greig2000_uk wrote:

any advice appreciated 

I have been using this forum for many years and what you are experiencing is one of the most email common issues that comes up on this forum.

Expected emails not arriving in to a Virgin Media email account applies to all the VM email domains, so Ntlworld.com, Virgin.net and Virginmedia.com. It's not restricted to Blueyonder.co.uk addresses.

It seems that the problem is due to the checks that VM run on all incoming emails to ensure that the incoming email is genuine.That check is intended to block emails that have been "spoofed", that is "faked",  to make them appear to come from a genuine organisation when in fact they have been sent by a scammer.

VM's authenticity checks do seem to be more stringent than many other email providers. It particularly affects auto generated emails such as one time password emails, email newsletters and confirmation emails relating to online purchases.

You will see there is a setting in webmail that allows you to turn off spam filtering but experience has proved that this will not solve your problem. 

That's because spam filtering on incoming email takes place after the authenticity check that causes these emails to be delayed or blocked. So your missing emails have been blocked before they even reach the VM spam filters.

Sadly, the VM email service does not have a setting which allows users to turn off that check or any reliable way to allow emails from certain senders to be accepted a genuine.

I'm sorry to say that the only way that you can resolve the problem is by switching to using a non VM email account.

In fact you would be well advised to do that anyway.

I don't know if you are aware but VM stopped issuing new email accounts 2 years ago and since then all new VM customers have to use their own email accounts to sign up. VM do still support VM email accounts of existing VM broadband customers but VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account are gradually being closed down.

The long term future of the VM email service is currently unknown but clearly with no new VM email accounts being issued  the number of VM email accounts is falling all the time.

Switching to a non VM email service would be a sensible step. If you do not already have another email service there are many excellent free options available. See these for some ideas https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@greig2000_uk wrote:

any advice appreciated 

I have been using this forum for many years and what you are experiencing is one of the most email common issues that comes up on this forum.

Expected emails not arriving in to a Virgin Media email account applies to all the VM email domains, so Ntlworld.com, Virgin.net and Virginmedia.com. It's not restricted to Blueyonder.co.uk addresses.

It seems that the problem is due to the checks that VM run on all incoming emails to ensure that the incoming email is genuine.That check is intended to block emails that have been "spoofed", that is "faked",  to make them appear to come from a genuine organisation when in fact they have been sent by a scammer.

VM's authenticity checks do seem to be more stringent than many other email providers. It particularly affects auto generated emails such as one time password emails, email newsletters and confirmation emails relating to online purchases.

You will see there is a setting in webmail that allows you to turn off spam filtering but experience has proved that this will not solve your problem. 

That's because spam filtering on incoming email takes place after the authenticity check that causes these emails to be delayed or blocked. So your missing emails have been blocked before they even reach the VM spam filters.

Sadly, the VM email service does not have a setting which allows users to turn off that check or any reliable way to allow emails from certain senders to be accepted a genuine.

I'm sorry to say that the only way that you can resolve the problem is by switching to using a non VM email account.

In fact you would be well advised to do that anyway.

I don't know if you are aware but VM stopped issuing new email accounts 2 years ago and since then all new VM customers have to use their own email accounts to sign up. VM do still support VM email accounts of existing VM broadband customers but VM email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account are gradually being closed down.

The long term future of the VM email service is currently unknown but clearly with no new VM email accounts being issued  the number of VM email accounts is falling all the time.

Switching to a non VM email service would be a sensible step. If you do not already have another email service there are many excellent free options available. See these for some ideas https://www.lifewire.com/best-free-email-accounts 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

greig2000_uk
On our wavelength

To the point and very infomative, many thanks for taking the time to explain all that! 🙂

I never knew any of it 😞

I will be looking into moving to another email service

Now I just need someone to complain to about not getting any email whatsoever since this morning...

any ideas?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@greig2000_uk 

No problem, I am pleased that you found my post useful.

Just another tip, once you have set up an alternative email account you can take your time moving over to it. Start off by using it for online accounts where your Blueyonder email account is giving you problems and then take it from there. I did that a few years ago and it was not as painful as you might think.

As a final step to that switch over process you can set up an auto-forward in your Blueyonder account to send incoming emails to your new email account. At that stage you can manage all your emails from the new account.

Feel free to post here again if you need any advice on that switching process. 👍

Coenoby

Great , thank you!

I need to be getting email through the servers first before I can forward it on. I know of at least 6 emails (confirmation and payment) I am waiting on since this morning. I have had 1 and that was from this forum after your first reply

greig2000_uk
On our wavelength

As a few others have been starting to find out, there seems to be a problem with virgin allowing email through their stringent security measures causing a great amout of inconvenience to users.

Who do we need to speak to to get someone to sort it out?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@greig2000_uk wrote:

I need to be getting email through the servers first before I can forward it on.

Exactly, that's why I advised to switch those accounts to a non VM email address as soon as possible.

I know of at least 6 emails (confirmation and payment) I am waiting on since this morning. I have had 1 and that was from this forum after your first reply

Yes, those confirmation tyoe emails are the ones that often fail VM's authentication checks.

Would you believe that a few weeks ago VM started sending the Forum notification emails to the spam folder? That was a due to a change that Khoros, the forum provider, made to the forum software

Good luck waiting for those outstanding emails. They have either been * greylisted by VM. in which case they may well turn up eventually. However if they have been blocked by VM then sadly they will never arrive.

Greylisting is often the reason that emails take several hours to arrive. It is a process where the receiving email service (in this case VM) has reasons to believe that an email is not genuine and sends a request back to  the sending email service asking them to resend it.

If the sender is genuine they will automatically resend it. However, if the sender is a scammer then they are unlikely to have the ability to do that and your email will never arrive.

Coenoby

greig2000_uk
On our wavelength

Hi,

As requested by forum moderator team after private message...

"Hi greig2000_uk,

Thanks for messaging. This mailbox is used primarily for the moderators. If you would like some assistance with your query, please post a thread on the Community. If you’ve already done so, someone will be along to help and advise, whether it be a fellow user or a member of staff."

Many thanks,

Community Moderators

Please raise a complaint about this to whomever is responsible as there seems to be no support either by phoning Virgin media or on this forum. I am looking at ways to elevate this externally also.

Email users including myself are complaining about emails not getting through and arriving very late. Your email authenticity checks are causing chaos and need revised as this seems to be getting worse.

Missing email means not being able to sign in to accounts that send one time password emails (OTP), payment confirmation emails, delivery tracking emails, Hospital/Doctor emails. Virgin seem to be actively denying access to all the above as this is just the emails I know I am expecting.

Just spent 1.5 hours on the phone for them to muck my account up - only just got it sorted back to where it was.

Useless and wont be happening again..

please advise

VM email will only get worse.  Move your email to another provider.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @greig2000_uk 

Welcome back to the community forums

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your email at this time. 

Are you having an issue sending or receiving emails sorry? 

Are you using an email client like gmail or outlook or are you using our webmail?

Any error messages at your side at all if it's stopping you sending emails?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley