cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No password provided “Virgin media”

Sarcasticpickle
Joining in

6AD35963-2590-4E41-9399-176F31FF77B5.jpeg

Please help! I reset my password online and when I go to change it on my iPhone mail it gives me this error message even though I am entering my correct password numerous times… 

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sarcasticpickle If you have recently changed the password for the My Virgin Media account associated with this email address you now have to generate an app specific password to use in order to access the email address via a third party email client.
App passwords are generated by logging into your My Virgin Media account> Account Settings> Account Details> Mailbox app password management.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jafergusonuk
Tuning in

I have exactly the same issue. First I couldn't access the account for 5 days whilst Virgin finally got round to  unlocking it. Then they enabled me to access via webmail, but whatever I try, I get the same issue with Microsoft Outlook and on my iPhone. I could scream.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jafergusonuk wrote:

I get the same issue with Microsoft Outlook and on my iPhone.

I could scream.

Ok, take a deep breath.....................and relax.

The answer that @Graham_A  gave in the earlier post is the answer you are looking for but to save you more stress I'll try clarify that a bit.

As Graham if you use an email app to manage you VM emails, such as Outlook or an app on your iPhone then you  need to generate a separate "mail app" password.

That mail app password will be in the format "word-word-word-word".  You will have to use that  password, including the hyphens, in the account settings of the email app rather than the password you use to access the VM email account on the VM website.

To generate that mail app password, follow these steps:

Sign in to My Virgin Media for that email account
a. Go to Account settings, then Account details
b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail
c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions.

However,just to warn you, I fear that during that process you will hit the other change VM have recently made.  They now insist that you have to use a non VM email account as the username to sign into your VM account.

You will be prompted to "Verify it’s you" and you need to click on the confusingly name "Change mail address"  button . Then  enter the address of a non Virgin Media email account that you can access.

In the next step VM will send a verification code to that non VM  email address and you just follow the instructions

That process will not change your VM email address but in future you will need to use that non VM email address to sign into your VM account when you sign in on the VM website rather than your VM email address.

Sorry if this all sounds confusing. It does make a bit more sense when you actually follow those steps in your account.

By the way neither Graham nor I are VM staff, (that's just a gentle hint to say "so don't blame us") we're just trying to help.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jafergusonuk,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Many thanks also for @coenoby providing the prior information, has that helped at all with this matter?
Let us know,

Kain

I am still struggling with this unfortunatley.

I have an old blueyonder email address and I used to use my blueyonder email address to log into my VM My Virgin Media account/VM webmail. I have recently set-up a gmail account so I now have a gmail email address. I reset my password for logging into my My Virgin Media account/VM webmail and I now use my gmail email address as my username (not my old blueyonder email address) and my new password for logging into my My Virgin Media account/VM webmail and I gain access to that without issue.

I also use Windows Mail on my laptop and I generated the "word-word-word-word" password that is referred to above. I entered this password into my Windows Mail Settings along with the updated Incoming and Outgoing email server settings (which were different to the original ones) and I can gain access to emails in my Windows Mail on my laptop without issue.

I use the Apple Mail app on my iphone but I have been unsuccessful trying to setup access to my emails on my iphone. I can still see my emails but recent emails from the last few days since my password change have not been received. When I try to refresh to download more recent emails, it says Checking for Mail… but I then get an error which reads Account Error:blueyonder.co.uk. Details…

Clicking Details... opens up a similar message to what the OP @Sarcasticpickle posted in their post #1. I tapped Settings and I can then see the Account information (The same as if I had tapped Settings/Mail/Accounts/blueyonder.co.uk/IMAP Account where my blueyonder email address is pre-populated)

I then see:

IMAP ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Name    My 1st name and surname are pre-populated

Email   My blueyonder.co.uk email address is pre-populated with an arrow to the right which if I tap opens a new screen and I see my blueyonder.co.uk email address which is ticked blue and underneath that, there is the option to ‘Add Another Email’

Returning to the previous ‘Account’ screen I see:

Description   blueyonder.co.uk

INCOMING MAIL SERVER

Host Name   imap.virginmedia.com

Username   where I have entered the gmail email address that I use to log into my My Virgin Media account/VM webmail

Password   where I have entered the password that I use to log into my My Virgin Media account/VM webmail

Below that is:

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER

SMTP   smtp.virginmedia.com with an arrow to the right which if I tap opens a new screen and I see

PRIMARY SERVER

Not Configured   Off  with an arrow to the right which I can tap to open up a new screen but ignoring that for now

OTHER SMTP SERVICES

smtp.virginmedia.com with the word On and an arrow to the right which if I tap opens a new screen and I see

Server   where the toggle button is set to green for On

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER

Host Name   smtp.virginmedia.com 

Username   where I have entered the gmail email address that I use to log into my My Virgin Media account/VM webmail

Password   where I have entered the password that I use to log into my My Virgin Media account/VM webmail

Use SSL   where the toggle button is set to green for On

Authentication   Password with an arrow to the right which if I tap opens a new screen and I see

Password which is ticked blue

Returning to the previous screen below Authentication I see:

Server Port 465 and below that the option to Delete Server in red

I am still unable to use the Mail app on my iphone so any help or advice regarding changes to any of the above would be appreciated. Hopefully any responses received might also assist others if they are experiencing similar issues.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The username that need for the Apple Mail app is your original blueyonder email address not the third party username that is only needed for My VM and VM webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thankyou for your reply.

I replaced the gmail email address with my blueyonder email address in both the INCOMING MAIL SERVER part and the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER part and put the "word-word-word-word" password in both of those sections too and it has worked. Emails are now up to date on my iphones Mail app 😁. Many many thanks.