cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email - denial of service

-D
On our wavelength

Virgin Media provided my telecoms and email for over ten years up until the last week of September this year when my emails stopped and I have received no further emails since.

Instead of emails, a notice says: "The host [...] could not be found.." (etc).

The same locked out of email denial of service had occurred once before in 2017 but after telephoning Virgin Media then it was then corrected within two days with no further problems until now.

In addition to which, trying to access Virgin Media either online from the link in my Virgin e-bill or by websearchng the site the screen either freezes or says my email address or password is incorrect and does not allow me to access my emails or any other information. This had briefly functioned again on this machine (and my brother's own computer) before it then stopped working again and again click-box links no longer functioned.

Hours phoning Virgin 150 has not solved the problem.

Websearchng this issue finds it exactly described in a Guardian Money article and follow up from readers 21 August 2023; and MoneySavngExpert; and The Oxford Mail online.

And more than a decade ago (and more) in others' queries to Microsoft.

Microsoft replied back then:

"I understand that you are not able to receive emails on your account. checked the domain and determined the MX records is invalid. To get this resolved, please contact your domain admin to correct the MX records."

Virgin Media provided my telecoms and email for over ten years up until the last week of September this year when my emails stopped and I have received no further emails since.

Instead of emails, a notice says: "The host POP3 could not be found.." (etc).

The same locked out of email denial of service had occurred once before in 2017 but after telephoning Virgin Media then it was then corrected within two days with no further problems until now.

In addition to which, trying to access Virgin Media either online from the link in my Virgin e-bill or by websearchng the site the screen either freezes or says my email address or password is incorrect and does not allow me to access my emails or any other information. This had briefly functioned again on this machine (and my brother's own computer) before it then stopped working again and again click-box links no longer functioned.

Websearchng this issue finds it exactly described in a Guardian Money article and follow up from readers 21 August 2023; and MoneySavngExpert; and The Oxford Mail online.

"I understand that you are not able to receive emails on your account. checked the domain and determined the MX records is invalid. To get this resolved, please contact your domain admin to correct the MX records."

Instead of emails, a notice says: "The host POP3 could not be found.." (etc).

"I understand that you are not able to receive emails on your account. I checked the domain and determined the MX records is invalid. To get this resolved, please contact your domain admin to correct the MX records."

29 REPLIES 29

-D
On our wavelength

- Daniel_Et / Forum Team,

Not passing data protection supposedly preventing Virgin from helping me is not preventing VM from explaining in detail what their help would consist of.

That Virgin can help me on this is far from certain, whether anyone knows what would help and wants to, because Virgin could help me with this in 2017 and did, when the same thing occurred and Virgin then fixed the problem with a phone call within two days.

Six years later in 2023 and hours and days already spent on the phone to the Virgin Team got me nowhere.

I have since attempted to eliminate possible reasons my emails stopped by asking questions intended to eliminate alternative causes, with most questions following from the central significant fact that I am not the only one being affected.

I have not asked questions about my account details.  I know all my account details.  The potential for questioning due diligence (supposedly I ever did) is any event pre-empted by me in all the evidence I have stated here.

GDPR data protection protects me not you anyway.

Why must you reiterate that data protection has to be passed when you can confirm that data protection has been passed already?  Or if not why not?  Asked for specific evidence to justify this, Virgin have not provided any. 

Saying 'there's a rule we made up earlier' is no an excuse for customer questions not being satisfactorily answered.

And in any case I have already contacted VM by other means and answered all the data protection questions asked when I called 150 and/or 03454541111 on my Virgin Media landline, all unacknowledged since, and is extremely suspect that the Virgin Team does not know this and keep repeating the same question.

You can not be unaware of all the online "Report an online scam / Virgin" and  "Latest Phishing News 11/09/2023, 12/09/2023, 20/10/2023" reported by "communityvirginmedia" itself and the rest - google it - cautioning customers about scam communications claiming to be from Virgin Media and their employees - "to validate" - blah blah blah.

-D

-D
On our wavelength
- ravenstar68,

All posted comments are appreciated whether or not I might take issue with any.

What Virgin Media needs to do is communicate with its customers in a way which would pass the Turing Test.

VM 'phone support' is not what it was back in 2017 (effective). 

The idea that I have passed GPDR - as evidence of fulfilling a legal requirement protection - on the phone, which VM then did not make any record of or have available to those in their organisation who want to see it isn't self-explanatory.

As is saying the Forum Team have no way of verifying that I am the same person who phoned the call centre from my landline - they could phone me up...

My latest attempts - re the secondary issue of this computer being unable (unlike with this and other websites) to sign-in or operate the Virgin functional 'on-screen click-on buttons' - opened a VM 'window' which stated:  "Sorry - but we cant seem to find you on our system"

VM can seem to find me on their system to send emails and e-bills to this computer to withdraw money from my bank account, as they have done since 2013, although I now no longer receive any emails for reasons VM seem either unable or unwilling to explain.

-D

-D
On our wavelength

Emails stopped uploading last September and none uploaded since.

And you never will get access to your emails ever again! Now I don't know if anything different has happened between your last post in November, but it does look as if you are in a bit of an impasse here. The forum team are best placed to help you, but they absolutely won't until and unless you pass security with them. They cannot, absolutely cannot, phone you, they simply have no ability to do so - might sound strange, trust me, it is the way it is set up - and even if they did, how could they be sure that they were talking to the person responsible?

The choice is entirely up to you, jump through whatever hoops VM set out for you, and, hopefully, get some help which, may; no guarantees, get you access to your email agin, or simply kiss goodbye to ever getting it back!

Now look, I do take your point and sympathise with your situation, VM's customer support provision is broken, ineffectual and basically on life support. But it is what it is, you absolutely will not manage to bypass the way they have set it up. You play by their rules or you get zero help, even if you do play by their rules, the help you get may not be entirely what you expect, but again, it is what it is!

-D
On our wavelength

My emails stopped last September. VM still deducting from my bank account since. Any contacts by phone and on here resulting in VM repeatedly asking for the same personal details from me for 'security' and no explanation why they stopped uploading my emails to start with.

-D
On our wavelength

My emails stopped last September and nothing I've tried either here or days over the phone has been any help whatsoever at reolving why my emails were stopped in the first place.

Hello -D

Thanks for your post.

Sorry hear about your emails stopping last September.

Would you be able to explain in a bit more detail what has happened please.

That way we can take a look at what has happened.

Gareth_L

-D
On our wavelength

Virgin stopped uploading emails to my inbox last September - which I continued paying for - but no VM solution offered by phone or online since.

-D
On our wavelength

Virgin stopped uploading my emails last Sepember, which I still pay for, but nobody at VM has been of any use.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do you mean you can't send emails, or receive emails, or both? Webmail, or app, or both? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.