cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email dead from this morning

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

I cannot send or receive emails from my 2 addresses  @ntlworld.com.

I'm using Windows Live Mail 2012 with Windows 7 (I know it's old but has never been any trouble).

Webmail is working fine.

Here is the error message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Robert-ntl account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the

connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I'm desperate. Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

techweb
On our wavelength

I have issues with Outlook from this morning also. SNMP, SSL on port 465. Error 0x800CCC1A

Ryan_c1
Tuning in

I also have this problem, Using Windows Live Mail. I generated a new password on the website twice but still cant get them. Any ideas?

Notebook1
Tuning in

Similar problem using Outlook 2010 on Windows 7 PC. When I send an outgoing message, l get error 0x800CCC1a. Message just sits in my inbox. This has been going on since 2pm this afternoon (16 April 2024). Set up in Outlook is ... Outgoing server (SMTP): 587, encrypted connection TLS. Incoming mail is fine.

Just a note: I had a very similar problem in June 2023. Virgin Media had apparently changed the SMTP criteria without telling anyone (previously SMTP 465, encrypted connection SSL). Switching it to the above setting solved the problem - then. But now the problem is back again. Help! (and good luck to everyone else with this problem).

bazgtr
Tuning in

Yes same problem for two days.

Waiting for the virgin team to get back to me.

Wish everyone contact virgin and put pressure on them.

If anyone gets the solution then please update this forum asap for others.

smithysmoo
Tuning in

Spent hours onto the online chat with the same issue to be told to contact gadget help and then they cut me off. Not very happy with this...I also asked for the pop3 details to check they were correct and was told they don't supply them ask an it guy...Not helpful at all and still not working this morning...The online chat is totally useless they seem clueless.

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

I may have an explanation, if not the fix (65% sure).

I believe Microsoft have killed WLM and old Outlook versions. Imagine if Ford or General Motors hit a kill switch when your car was 10 years old. Microsoft previously hit the kill switch on Outlook Express - but at least warned; whereras they said we could continue to use WLM after support ended.

Microsoft accidently (???) killed WLM a few years back. They issued a simple registry fix - see:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-live-mail-stopped-working-after-last/4...   Somebody please try this if you have a little confidence going into "regedit".

I'm probably going to swap the PC to my newer Win10 PC; then try "Windows 10 Mail" and Thunderbird, though I have previously found Thunderbird clunky. Let's try to keep the hread going as we search for a solution.

Good luck. Share your findings and hopefully a fix.

paulgardner99
Tuning in

Same for me. It was already bad enough that VM suddenly decided to restrict us to one email account, when we previously had the ability to set up multiple email accounts.

Now it no longer seems to be possible to send anything via SMTP (although webmail still seems to work). Traditional email services have been part of an ISP's function ever since I had my first dial-up internet account in 1993.

Removing this facility puts VM in breach of contract as far as I'm concerned. They are playing a dangerous game here, as we now have full-fibre service in this area via BT and 5G broadband is also an option. I will be leaving VM as soon as my discount package ends if they don't sort this out.

I was thinking something like that so I fired up my little used Windows 10 PC with Thunderbird installed and that threw up the same issues.  As usual the problem is with the virgin servers but you'll never get anyone to admit that.  The funny thing is I have another PC in the shed, running Windows 7 Pro with Thunderbird installed and it has been working fine.

ptopping
Tuning in

Hi all, I have a solution that works for me. Windows 7. First of all you need to have an email account that is set up for IMAP.  I have 3 email accounts 2 where Pop and 1 was IMAP. I noticed that I couldn't send or receive from the POP accounts but could receive from IMAP but not send. So I created another email account with the same email address but with the IMAP protocol. I will walk you through the solution with pics. 1 Click on the button top left of Windows live mail to the left of the Home Button. 2 Navigate to Options and then Email accounts.(NO PIC). 3 Click Add and then 4 click Email accounts. 5 Fill in your details (follow the pic for filling in the rest of the form) and click next, change server type to IMAP. and click to finish. 

Now click on Accounts on the top bar next to view 6. Click on your account on the left 7. And then back to the top for Properties 8. The first window is General and it should look like 9 with your email address. 10 Servers again should look like this with your Email username. Now click on settings at the bottom of 10 and you will see a window that says Outgoing Mail Server. 11 Change the radio button to “Log on using”, enter your email address and password and make sure “remember password” is ticked. 12 should look exactly as this 13 should look like this. You should be good to go.

NB if you have changed your account from POP to IMAP do not delete the original POP account or you will not have your previous sent email. Your inbox will still have all your previous received mail.1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg