cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account hacked - unable to log in - email address rejected

chouchoucat
Tuning in

Hi, 

My email account was recently hacked and earlier today I was locked out. Apparently the hackers changed my pw and now my email address is rejected when I try to log in.

There is no way to get any help from virgin… going round in circles.

extremely frustrating 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's here 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-account-hacked-unable-to-log-in-email-address-rejec...

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chouchoucat wrote:

now my email address is rejected when I try to log in.

So what does the error message actually say? It may be the account has simply been locked by VM and if so you should be able to unlock that yourself by doing a password reset.

Have you tried signing in to the My Virgin Media (MVM) account for that email account, (rather than the email account itself)? Try entering your email address as the Username here https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media and when prompted enter the password you have been using, .

If your VM email account is still linked to a current VM broadband account then you should be able to reset the password from that MVM account.  Here's a post setting out the steps involved in doing that https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/locked-out-of-ntlworld-email/ 

Sadly, if you are no longer a VM broadband customer then you may be not be able to get the problem resolved..

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

chouchoucat
Tuning in

I asked a question about being locked out from my account after being hacked. Some kind person replied but now I can’t find it.

How do I find my own posts and the answers to them?

Thanks!

It's here 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-account-hacked-unable-to-log-in-email-address-rejec...

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chouchoucat wrote:

I asked a question ....now I can’t find it.

How do I find my own posts and the answers to them?

Thanks!

@chouchoucat 

Click on your profile picture/icon in the top-right corner of any forum page, select "my profile". Scroll down to view all your posts & replies.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you! When I try to log in from that page the first time entering my email goes through. Then I have to click ‘forgot PW’ because the hackers changed it and whatever I tried works any more.

So I click ‘forgot PW’ and I get a message saying that I should ‘sign in with the email I use to log in’. Which I did, and have done for almost 25 years.

But it refuses to let me log in with it now.

Is there anything else I can try, do you know?

i don’t have broadband any more

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chouchoucat wrote:

When I try to log in from that page the first time entering my email goes through. Then I have to click ‘forgot PW’ because the hackers changed it and whatever I tried works any more.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by that.

When you say  there "my email goes through" are you saying that when you sign in using the link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media   it allows you to access the account?

Because of changes of recent changes VM have made to the security of email accounts you will not be able to use the "Forgot password" process.

If you can get into your "My Virgin Media" account from the above link you can change then change the password by following the instructions here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/locked-out-of-ntlworld-email 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

But VM email requires a VM broadband account to keep working.

You said you don't have broadband any more, so your email account may have been closed. 

- jpeg1

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chouchoucat wrote:

i don’t have broadband any more

Sorry, I missed that when I replied to you.

As @jpeg1 says, your email account may well have been closed by VM.

VM's Broadband Terms and Conditions say that 90 days after a broadband account is closed they will delete all email accounts attached to it. In reality they often left such accounts open for years. However, VM stopped issuing any new email accounts in 2022 and since then they seem to be catching up with any email accounts that are not attached to a broadband account.

If your email account is one that never was associated with a VM fibre broadband account (a virgin.net address for example) then after VM sold off their ADSL broadband service those  accounts should have been deleted unless the customer tool out a VM fibre broadband account..

If the email account was originally linked to the old virgin.net dial up service , then it should have closed automatically 180 days after they closed that service in 2013. That's because to keep a dial up account active it was required to dial in at least once every 180 days.

I'm sorry to say that if you do not have a VM broadband account all VM staff can do is to ensure that it is fully deleted.They will not be able to reset the password for you.

I really don't like being the bearer of bad news.😧

Coenoby

Hi @chouchoucat 

Welcome to the community forums 

So sorry to hear of your email access concerns. 

As the community have kindly support and advised already, you would need an active broadband service to have access to our email systems. 

Has it been more than 90 days since you disconnected your broadband service with us? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley