cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Access Virgin account or email

polly43
Up to speed

I can't access my Virgin Account or my e-mail account today.  It was fine yesterday.  Now, today, I put in my e-mail address and password and nothing happens.  No message - nothing!  It just freezes.  I tried refreshing, emptying the cache; still nothing.  So I tried to access my Virgin acocunt to see if there was any work going on, but found I couldn't access my account either!  What is happening? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ilike2burnthing
Well-informed

If you're using Firefox, this looks to be an issue caused by Google, specifically their reCAPTCHA service. Mozilla are aware of the issue and have reached out to Google - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1894735

The current workaround is to fake the user-agent or temporarily use a Chromium-based browser (e.g. Edge or Chrome).

In lieu of a quick resolution from Google, reCAPTCHA would need to be removed by VM, using something like hCaptcha or Cloudflare's Turnstile instead.

I found that out while typing this comment, so for anyone interested you can see the rest of my troubleshooting below.

-----

Are you using Firefox on Windows? I think I'm running into the same issue at the moment - email address is accepted fine, but when trying to login with the password nothing happens, no error, no page reload, doesn't matter if I press Enter or click the 'Sign In' button.

Working fine on Edge and Chrome, but Firefox doesn't work on multiple computers for multiple VM accounts when entering a password (the accounts set up to use biometrics can be accessed in Firefox when using that option).

I've also tested this issue in Windows Sandbox (so a fresh Windows image and fresh install of the latest Firefox), and the issue continues. Older versions of Firefox don't work either, I tried v115 ESR and went as far back as v80 (the site doesn't work at all if you go much earlier than that), but no luck. I even tried Firefox on a remote server, no luck there either.

Before entering the password, the console shows an uncaught error pertaining to reCAPTCHA, and then 'Uncaught (in promise) TypeError' when trying to sign in.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

polly43
Up to speed

Not only can I not access my Virgin e-mail, but I cannot access my Virgin account either!  Thjis has only happened today.  Yesterday it was fine!

ilike2burnthing
Well-informed

If you're using Firefox, this looks to be an issue caused by Google, specifically their reCAPTCHA service. Mozilla are aware of the issue and have reached out to Google - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1894735

The current workaround is to fake the user-agent or temporarily use a Chromium-based browser (e.g. Edge or Chrome).

In lieu of a quick resolution from Google, reCAPTCHA would need to be removed by VM, using something like hCaptcha or Cloudflare's Turnstile instead.

I found that out while typing this comment, so for anyone interested you can see the rest of my troubleshooting below.

-----

Are you using Firefox on Windows? I think I'm running into the same issue at the moment - email address is accepted fine, but when trying to login with the password nothing happens, no error, no page reload, doesn't matter if I press Enter or click the 'Sign In' button.

Working fine on Edge and Chrome, but Firefox doesn't work on multiple computers for multiple VM accounts when entering a password (the accounts set up to use biometrics can be accessed in Firefox when using that option).

I've also tested this issue in Windows Sandbox (so a fresh Windows image and fresh install of the latest Firefox), and the issue continues. Older versions of Firefox don't work either, I tried v115 ESR and went as far back as v80 (the site doesn't work at all if you go much earlier than that), but no luck. I even tried Firefox on a remote server, no luck there either.

Before entering the password, the console shows an uncaught error pertaining to reCAPTCHA, and then 'Uncaught (in promise) TypeError' when trying to sign in.

polly43
Up to speed

You're right.  This does seem to have started with the latest update to Mozilla Firefox, which is my default browser.  I had no problems with accessing Virgin Media yesterday, but I remember later getting an update to Firefox.  I tried Virgin in Edge this morning with no problems.  I was able to access my Virgin Account details and also my e-mail.  I did think that the fault had been corrected, but then when I tried signing in to Virgin with Firefox again, the links still didn't work after signing in with my details. The links are still frozen.  I think I have managed to notify Mozilla about this, but most of the similar problems reported to them by their users, seem to go back a couple of years!  It's a shame because I really like using Firefox and I HATE Edge!  So It's a Google thing is it?  Not like them at all.  Still as long as they are aware, because it's a right faff having to shut down my Mozilla browser and open Edge just to access my Virgin account!  😕

Yea, the issue lies with Google, the Firefox update was just a coincidence.

Mozilla are already aware of the issue, see the link above. Said link also explains how to continue using Firefox by changing the user-agent.

polly43
Up to speed

Seems to have ben rectified now anyway, as I found I could access my Virgin mail account with Firefox ths afternoon.  Before, I used Edge to access my accounts with Virgin.  I wish folks wouldn't mess around with things that aren't broken in the first place!  🙄

t

ilike2burnthing
Well-informed

Yep, from the bug tracker:

"Apparently [Google] has rolled back [...] Resolved?"

"Yes, Google is rolling out a fix [...] Google confirmed that this was mitigated [...] If someone is still seeing issues, please give it another hour or two, clear your caches, and test again."