cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get Blueyonder emails back?

Penny_Zenny
Joining in

My dad has his blueyonder email account through Virgin, which he has had for more than 20 years. He recently had his email hacked and the hacker deleted everything (including sent items) and then deleted them from the deleted items folder. 

There’s no trace of them. I’ve phoned Virgin to ask how long they keep people’s information for and whether they could retrieve them from a server or something but they were quite aggressive about it and not really helpful. 

Does anyone know what else I could do? I know they’re likely lost but hopeful there’s  another route I haven’t tried yet. My dad is just distraught. 

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM don't keep email backups. They recommend that users keep their own backups, which is in any case a sensible precaution. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Penny_Zenny 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear your dad experienced this situation with his email account. As advised by @jpeg1 we do not keep email backups. Just to confirm, is the account now secure? Have you both been able to gain access to the mailbox?
Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you. Yes now secure and we can access it - just 20 years worth of emails gone! 

Hi Penny_Zenny, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. We're happy to hear the email account is safe and secure again, albeit without the emails. 

Going forward, we would recommend keeping your own copy of any emails to ensure information isn't lost should this happen again. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Helpme222
Tuning in

Absolute nightmare, my ntlworld was accessed in April 2023, I deleted all my e mails after I found they had spoofed mine, then recently looked in the sent ones and found some strange e mails with letters and numbers on, VM won’t admit they have been breached, but I’ve been a wreck since last April. They changed several passwords too

HI Helpme222

We're really sorry to hear that your email account was compromised in April last year. We completely understand how concerning something like this is and how damaging. Have you since been able to re secure your account? 

We do have a help page here with lots of information about what to do if your account is hacked and what precautions you can take to prevent it happening again. 

We recommend to change your password frequently to something new and unique to lower the change of an attacker guessing or cracking your password and gaining access.

Beth