cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder account on iPhone problems

Juju3
Joining in

I hope someone can help me.

I was unable to send emails on my Blueyonder account on my iPhone Mail app, the emails were stuck in my Outbox and then timed out trying to connect to the server. With any email issues in the past, I’ve deleted my email account on the phone Mail app then added back in without any problems but not this time - there seems to be an issue with passwords and then SSL, the only offer seems to be to have an account without either.

I next generated a new password through my Virgin Media account, and tried logging in with the new passwords on my laptop - it works fine. However my phone still won’t let me add Blueyonder account to my Mail app - I get a “no password provided” message although a fresh password has been set up. 
Any helps here welcome as I’m just going round in circles. 

1 REPLY 1

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To determine course of action to resolve it would be helpful to see what error code is returned by the SMTP (send) server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Prompt in Window or otherwise a Terminal application and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:rotavator-racecar-tenet-repaper:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes, i.e. VM error code; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the unredacted or incorrectly redacted output here will likely reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

If cause mentions netreport then request delisting by going to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/:

• select an abuse type of Email Sending Errors from drop down list
  • select an abuse form of Other from drop down list
  • paste the complete error message into the Log Evidence area
  • enter your name into My name field
  • enter your email address into Email address field
  • select Submit button

FYI if there is no issue then you should see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise an unsuccessful result will look similar to the following:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks