cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt O2 Sim question

Topgun
Dialled in

I've just changed my package from Oomph to Volt. As part of the new package, I get an unlimited sim from O2 for £25 per month. As I don't actually need unlimited data and could make do with a cheaper package, could I contact O2, downgrade to a sim costing perhaps £10 or £15 per month, without that affecting the rest of the package I receive from VM?

Just wondered if anyone has thought of, or actually attempted to do this...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tractorboy
Rising star

No you will be on an 18 month contract.

I have tried but it is not allowed!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Tractorboy
Rising star

No you will be on an 18 month contract.

I have tried but it is not allowed!

Thanks Tractorboy. It was a cunning plan though!

PS5Dogchops
Joining in

I've just signed up and was told by Virgin Media customer services, that you can cancel the O2 sim directly with O2 within the 14 day cooling off period, but you would lose some service on your broadband i.e. if your on the 1GB service it would go down to 500mb. However O2 informed me if you take out a pay monthly sim, a cheaper one, you can contact O2 and they will return the Volt package.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm on Volt but I negotiated my broadband separately then got an O2 SiM Only via Uswich at £8 per month then applied for Volt via O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for coming back to me. Did you have any trouble adding the Volt back on with O2?

archercj
Fibre optic

After my 'probation' period when I switched from Ooomph to Volt I was eligible for an 'upgrade'. I sarcastically say probation period as you have to wait 3 or 6 months before you are eligible. My other contract (with phone) had come to an end so I popped into an O2 store and discussed what was available given I only had a Volt O2 unlimited SIM.

Came out with a new Galaxy Pixel 6 pro phone and downgraded by unlimited SIM to a 30GB one (which is doubled to 60GB with Volt) as O2 can be expensive as an unlimited option. More than happy with that deal.

So I reckon they are flexible but in my case I was getting a new phone contract so maybe not entirley the same as what you are wanting.

@archercj wrote:

After my 'probation' period when I switched from Ooomph to Volt I was eligible for an 'upgrade'. I sarcastically say probation period as you have to wait 3 or 6 months before you are eligible. My other contract (with phone) had come to an end so I popped into an O2 store and discussed what was available given I only had a Volt O2 unlimited SIM.

Came out with a new Galaxy Pixel 6 pro phone and downgraded by unlimited SIM to a 30GB one (which is doubled to 60GB with Volt) as O2 can be expensive as an unlimited option. More than happy with that deal.

So I reckon they are flexible but in my case I was getting a new phone contract so maybe not entirley the same as what you are wanting.

Like you I was entitled to an "upgrade" which I applied online via my account an moved to 30 Gb at £15 pm.

All went through with no problems at the reduced rate and it has been increased to 60 Gb with Volt , a big saving on the £27.92 I was paying previosly as part of the Volt package..

I am in a similar situation. I have just moved from Oomph to Volt and I'm paying £25 for a SIM I wont make the use of. I can 'upgrade' to one that only cost's only £18 a month which is a nice tidy £7 saving. But I am scared it is going to either invalidate my Virgin package offer or just order me a new SIM for £18 meaning I have 2. 

I am still within my 14 cooling off period. What should I do?! 

MJones

I must admit I was a bit wary of this "upgrade" but can confirm it all went smoothly. I was not sent a new sim , the package was changed almost immediately to the lower one , I was able to sign up to six months Disney+ and a few days later I got an email saying Volt had been applied. Package now changed from 30 Gb to 60 Gb and had my first bill (lowere than the expected £15 as credit applied from previous higher amount I was paying)

All seemed to have worked well and appears to be a legimate way to change within the rules !