cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Contract

Pianotuner
Tuning in

Hi,

Virgin offered me a new deal for 18 months, with a speed increase and a new TV box.

They asked if I wanted a mobile phone contract as Virgin are now working with 02.  I said no, I am happy with my current phone company.  When Virgin emailed me the contract, I scrolled down 4 or 5 pages and saw an 02 Contract which I had not agreed to.  The telephone no on the contract was unobtainable/non existent so I wrote to the address and said I did not want the contract, they haven't replied and guess what? every time I ring I get cut off without fail, to the point where it is becoming obvious it is deliberate.  My Bank advised me that they had set up a standing order and £25 was taken on Monday last.  Has this happened to anyone else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Many aspects of what you report are normal for VM, equally several of them are in breach of consumer protection legislation (and still normal for VM).  I'd say contact Citizens Advice on Monday.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Many aspects of what you report are normal for VM, equally several of them are in breach of consumer protection legislation (and still normal for VM).  I'd say contact Citizens Advice on Monday.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just on the narrow point of VM contact details in contract pdfs I've had a look at mine and it gives the following address which I don't think is still in use:

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Winnall Down Farm, Alresford Road, Winchester, SO21 1FP

If it is obsolete can the VM forum team perhaps have a quiet word with the VM website peeps please? 

The correct phone number is given in italics as 0345 454 1111*  with that trailing asterisk which just needs to be dropped. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Just on the narrow point of VM contact details in contract pdfs I've had a look at mine and it gives the following address which I don't think is still in use:

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Winnall Down Farm, Alresford Road, Winchester, SO21 1FP

If it is obsolete can the VM forum team perhaps have a quiet word with the VM website peeps please? 

The correct phone number is given in italics as 0345 454 1111*  with that trailing asterisk which just needs to be dropped. 

You know, it’s almost as if they are making it deliberately difficult to contact them, I mean a cynical person might think that, but surely that can’t be right!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pianotuner wrote:

They asked if I wanted a mobile phone contract as Virgin are now working with 02.  I said no, I am happy with my current phone company.  When Virgin emailed me the contract, I scrolled down 4 or 5 pages and saw an 02 Contract which I had not agreed to.

Just on this specific, Virgin Media are part of the same company as O2, so all VM's mobile service is now provided by O2. By the end of the year, Virgin are removing all marketing attempts at being a mobile provider and will just sell O2 contracts.

There are pricing benefits to your package by taking additional products from O2, but this is achieved by discounting the VM fixed-line elements and addinf additional O2 contracts - as long as the combined total is what you expect, that's usually what matters.

The new TV box is also an inducement for a change of software from TiVo-based to Horizon-based and should not be compulsory.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for this, However, it should have been explained to me carefully and preferably in writing as speaking from the other side of the world has its difficulties. The agent was so persistent I was called many times by the agent , my phone if off a lot and no message was left, understanably.

Virgin contract is set to triple on month 19 and the 02 contract (who knows?). Anyway, she had the chance to explain this when I said categorically that I did not want a mobile contract.

I can't get any further because I am cut off as a matter of course now, my letters aren't answered and my cooling off period ends tomorrow!

The address on my contract is 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berks SL14DX. I wrote and didn't receive a reply and the telephone no. is shown as 0844 809 0202 which appears to be non-existent.

Hi Pianotuner, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community.

We're sorry to hear that you've had some difficulty in getting through to the teams after a contract you received was not what was agreed. 

The correct number to call was posted by CardiffMan above - 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111. This will get you through to the team who can amend your contract to the one that was agreed. 

If you do have further trouble, pop back here and let us know and we can see what we can do from this end. 😊

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath 

Thank you for your offer of help, for which I am truly grateful.

I have made little, if any progress.  I wrote to 02 and had a reply from an 02 complaint review service at Winchester, giving an apology and the intention to return the direct debit amount to my bank plus £40 compensation within 10 days, if the letter is genuine, there are grammatical errors and the writer mis-spells her own name several times, so I will wait to see if the amount arrives at my bank.

She said that she was ‘disconnecting my account with immediate effect and I will receive a bill with a zero balance within 14 days’  so I will see if that happens.

However, she didn’t mention where I stand with the Virgin contract which was also mis-sold to me.  I was already on a contract with Virgin since March last year for 18 months, so it wasn’t due for review until September anyway.  I was called ‘out of the blue’ with the offer of a new contract which would cost me no more with a speed increase.  She asked me about a mobile phone contract and I said I didn’t want it, I was happy with my current arrangements.  Apparently these calls are all recorded, so you will see from the recording that I am right.  I also said on two occasions that I couldn’t understand what she was saying and the line was of poor quality.

What I would like to happen is for Virgin to return me to the existing contract as I consider the new contract to be null and void and sold under false pretences.  I would be sorry to part from Virgin altogether because for 7 years until this incident they have given me good service and I would consider what contracts are available that time. (In September)

What can you do for me Kath?

Hi Pianotuner, thanks for coming back to us. 
I am happy to hear that you have this resolved with 02 and I will look at this from a Virgin Media point of view. 
I will send you a private message and please look out for the purple envelope. 
Kind regards, Chris.