cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to Volt (O2) - are you eligible for a mobile phone.

archercj
Fibre optic

It's ok getting a new SIM when moving on to O2 but is it possible to bolt on a new phone to the contract? I've looked on the O2 site now I am registered and it seems the only choice is phone with a new SIM package.

Anyone managed to get this sorted?

8 REPLIES 8

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @archercj, thanks for your post.

You can have a phone as part of the Volt deal as it does just require a registered O2 sim and Virgin services to be active. If you did wish to take out a phone this would need to be done on the O2 side as we are unable to do it from here.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thanks Nathan but it is not obvious how to do this. if you click on the upgrade link you get told you have to wait 306 months to be eligible for a new deivice.

No worries, are you looking to take out a new number with a new device or upgrade your existing account.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you have just switched Take out a New Phone and number and the use O2's facility to swap the number you have to the package.

If you contact O2 sales directly and explain the situation I'm sure the can help.

Alternatively speak to the team at an O2 store. That may be the best option.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cheers Enlli

I did get in touch with O2 and to be perfectly honest they were less than helpful. Their answer was 'well didnt you know you were taking out a SIM only deal', When I explained it came as part of the Virgin Volt package and in reality I cant use the SIM because I need a phone for it they seemed uninterested and told me I had to wait until the end of June when my package makes me eligible for an phone upgrade.

They arent complaining about getting £25pm SIM only though are they.

To be honest that fits nicely with my current contract with 3 that runs out in July. I will use the O2 SIM in my personal device and get an EE deal which I can use for tethering at my rural retreat (well ok a static caravan lol) which has pretty poor coverage by all but EE.

Why are all these companies so poor at customer service.

Hi @archercj thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your continued frustrations.

Any phone from all retailers that is unlocked (or sold as SIM-free) can have the O2 Volt SIM used in it, as well as O2-registered devices.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom - a suggestion. Maybe a tweak in the T&C's for Virgin users who sign up to the Volt and automatically get O2 would be that they can have access to phone upgrades to go with their new SIM as soon as they sign up. Rather than having to wait 3 months before they are eligible.

Thank you for your feedback @archercj.

We will take this on board and pass it on to the relevant teams for future improvement. Please also do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs