cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 increase?

heatherann
Tuning in

Hello. I took a fixed rate volt package out with virgin for 18 months. Had to change my virgin mobile to 02 which was a hassle in itself. I was told the O2 price would be fixed at £25 a month and now this has gone up to £27.92 a month. I was not told of increases when taking out this package. When my virgin phone was in with the virgin package not 02 there were no increases. Not good enough.

29 REPLIES 29

Hi, just to update I got an email from the 02 complaints department advising the below:

I’ve looked into the account and can see you opened the contract on the 17 January 2022 and your last three bills havebeen £25. However, the RPI shows you are now paying £27.92 for the services.
Retail Price Index (RPI) is a measure of inflation in the UK. Customers that joined us after March 25 last year will see the full 11.7 per cent price hike. However, if you’ve been with us since before March 25 2021, your price increase will be capped at the rate of RPI inflation, which stands at 7.8 per cent.
Like any business, inflation has an impact on our costs. A corresponding adjustment to our monthly airtime plans only ensures we can continue to invest in the network and services that really matter to our customers while still making sure the cost of your handset remains unaffected and offering great value for money.

What happens now?
I’m sorry you weren’t advised on the Retail Price Index increase when you opened your contract. I understand why you’re unhappy. As the price increase is included in the term s and conditions of the contract, I’m unable to uphold your complaint. However, I do want to help. So I’ve applied a £20 credit to your account for the shortfall in service. This will show on your next month’s bill, dated 17 May 2022.

**** I have never received a contract from 02 or Virgin mentioning that price increase would affect the fixed price deal I negotiated in Jan. I have been with Virgin (Telewest) for over 20 years and rather disappointed that this was not brought to my attention. £27.92 is rather steep for unlimited data sim which which used to be free prior to the merger!. Anyone else had any joy challanging the increase?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should have been told but I think that £20 credit is a good result from O2 and negates a lot of the rise. Also the communication from O2 to your complaint is far better than you would get from Virgin (if you got a reply at all)

You could ask here as to what people think

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Volt/Welcome-to-the-Volt-board/td-p/1546157

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

And RPI is mysterious masterpiece in its own right. I wish my wage was RPI linked or at least one of the better RPI indexes as there are more than one (including CPI). 

Hi @martinkyle

Thank you for keeping us updated. I hope that this resolution is satisfactory for you. We do let all our customers know before of any annually price rise happen. There is a window where, if you do not agree to the price rise, then you can leave your contract without penalty. All price rise information is within your terms and conditions here. If you wanted to find out more about the price rises at O2, you would need to speak to them directly.  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

The changeover from virgin to 02 has been a complete nightmare. Now with the price increases even worse. No notification was given to me. So no penalty for leaving virgin but the price would go up if you stopped the contract and stayed. Terrible service. 

totally agree with you @heatherann. On the face of, and with all this automated technology to plague our lives, how hard is it to take a Ooomph package that consists of a broadband connection, tv package and Virgin/Vodafone mobile SIM and migrate that over to an increased speed broadband connection, same tv package, a new netflix subscription and a migration from Vodafone to O2 SIM.

I have probably waster around 2.5 hours on the dreaded chat lines with Virgin (and O2) over this s I can get the SIM side sorted plus netflix

You know what, lifes too short.

My problem is that I do need the speed fibre gives me as IT is my job. Otherwise I would have moved to another fast supplier but there arent any for me at the moment.

O2 referred me back to Virgin Media. On my first bill I paid no extra for a new sim, which turned out to be a VM sim. When I queried this I was send an O2 sim, for which I am being charged!!!

I am forever battling with Virgin Media over various issues, but to argue with two mammoth corporations may well be beyond me.

My original contract was with VM, but now I get two bills, and feel cheated that the original deal was not honoured.How not to encourage brand loyalty, eh?

Hi wenceslas51

Welcome back to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you have contract concerns. All of our Volt packages are O2 sims and separate O2 contracts, there are no Virgin Media sims being sent for Volt packages. Where you on a different package and then moved over to a Volt package? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I signed up for an Ultimate Volt package,which includes an O2 sim. Unfortunately I was sent a Virgin sim.This was on a new number.You eventually sent me an O2 sim,which I believed was part of the package,which I thought was the case when I  got my first bill.When I got the charge from O2 I contacted them who referred me to VM,who sent me a contract copy. I feel like a victim of a merger,and cheated by a charge which I thought was included in the deal. 

Sorry for bumping an old thread BUT I have read on Cable Forum that people on Ultimate Volt like me so paying VM £75 and 02 £25 (now £27.92) have downgraded the 02 sim to a cheaper, lower package without it affecting the VM side / Ultimate Bolt bundle. Anyone done the same and had any issues from VM or 02 ?