cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix Cancelling Repeatedly

Boola76
Joining in

In September I took out the new Volt package which included Netflix. When we first installed it everything was fine and Netflix was working correctly. Then it just switched off, I contacted Netflix and they said Virgin had cancelled it. So I contacted Virgin spent hours doing all the is it connected, press this button, restart that and nothing happened. Then about a week later it came back on, then a week after that it went off again. Again Netflix advising it has been cancelled by Virgin. 

Six months later I am having the same problem and have probably only had Netflix for 2 months out of the 6. I have spent numerous hours on the phone/chat doing the same things over and over again with the agent expecting a different outcome (the definition of insanity by the way). About 3 months in I raised a complaint and was fobbed of with dial this number and report a fault which doesn't let you report a fault just sends you a text message and cuts you off. I raised another complaint yesterday as it has gone off again and got a generic response apologising for the issue with my "internet". To which I responded saying I wanted a response written by a human. In response I have been sent a text message telling me to call the 0345 number which guess what send me a text and cuts me off. I have also that Netflix is free and it is not a priority. Its not free its included inn the package I pay over £100 a month for.

Anyone managed to solve this problem? My next port of call is the ombudsman.

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@Boola76 wrote:

In September I took out the new Volt package which included Netflix. When we first installed it everything was fine and Netflix was working correctly. Then it just switched off, I contacted Netflix and they said Virgin had cancelled it. So I contacted Virgin spent hours doing all the is it connected, press this button, restart that and nothing happened. Then about a week later it came back on, then a week after that it went off again. Again Netflix advising it has been cancelled by Virgin. 

Six months later I am having the same problem and have probably only had Netflix for 2 months out of the 6. I have spent numerous hours on the phone/chat doing the same things over and over again with the agent expecting a different outcome (the definition of insanity by the way). About 3 months in I raised a complaint and was fobbed of with dial this number and report a fault which doesn't let you report a fault just sends you a text message and cuts you off. I raised another complaint yesterday as it has gone off again and got a generic response apologising for the issue with my "internet". To which I responded saying I wanted a response written by a human. In response I have been sent a text message telling me to call the 0345 number which guess what send me a text and cuts me off. I have also that Netflix is free and it is not a priority. Its not free its included inn the package I pay over £100 a month for.

Anyone managed to solve this problem? My next port of call is the ombudsman.

You won't be able to solve it. It's ultimately down to a somewhat flakey backend set of processes which VM use, and something it broken and simply not paying Netflix properly and hence they, quite rightly, honestly, cut you off.

Slightly in their defence, VM and it's precursor companies were all amalgams of smaller cable companies which were acquired or merged with over the course of decades, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that their backend systems are all held together with the equivalent of sticky tape and blind hope!

What you have run headlong into is the usual VM's modus operandi, where it works for the vast, vast majority of customers, but when, as in your case, it doesn't, then all four wheels instantly fall off of the VM wagon and everyone runs around like the proverbial headless chicken and they simply have no mechanism for dealing with it!

Ultimately, you are paying for a service which VM simply aren't providing, which puts them in breech of contract - so yes, I think the Ombudsman will eventually be the way to go, but first, you need to make an official complaint (and do this in writing as a physical letter, with recorded delivery - there are good legal reasons for doing it this way), you request a refund of the cost of the Netflix service for the months you haven't had it plus compensation of £50 for the inconvenience. When this complaint is inevitably ignored, fobbed off etc. you then reject any 'resolution', request a deadlock letter and escalate it to the Ombudsman service. You might also want to consult your local Citizen's Advice Bureau with a request that they take it to your local Trading Standards authority, on the grounds that VM are taking money for a service which they are failing to provide.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Boola76, thanks for reaching out on our help forum and welcome back to our community.
We're sorry to hear of the issues faced with your Netflix subscription as part of your package with VM.

We'd love to best assist with this, could you please let us know if you can see the Netflix tile when logging into your MyVM account online?
Also, if you click on the tile this should allow you to subscribe for Netflix via VM and use the service as normal. Does this happen?

Can you please check and let us know if you can do this or if you've received any emails from our team recently with a link to use for the activation?

Do let us know of the above and we're here to assist further where needed.
Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,

Thank you for coming back to me. I thought the issue was solved as I managed to get through to a man called Aiden who agreed yes there was an issue and as a result he would get my account adjusted with a recurring monthly refund of £15.99 to my account so I could take out Netflix with them direct. I have waited for my new bill and this has not been actioned, he also said he would send an email to confirm. I have not received this either.

I now can’t get through to the department now that Aiden is in so wrote a letter to your resolutions team, who have resolved nothing, they don’t read the email and just send you a generic email. In this one I have been told to contact Netflix about my billing issue.

How can we resolve this? It’s been going on for nearly 6 months now!

Thanks

Hi Boola76, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one with an update. 

This is something we can certainly check further for you but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you to pass security. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. Just click on the little envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs