cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going up form £53 to £75 crazy virgin

Swf
Fibre optic

So just phoned up about missing something from my contacts which I promise and I've just been informed that soon it will be going up from £54 to £75 a month as an annual increase.  

Why's the hell.  Lol you guys are scammers and criminals 

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Swf wrote:

So just phoned up about missing something from my contacts which I promise and I've just been informed that soon it will be going up from £54 to £75 a month as an annual increase.  

Are you just coming out of contract?

If so this is normal as you'll no longer have a new customer discount.

"scammers and criminals" is a little drematic?

Plenty of other providers if you cannot afford.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

£54 to £75 is the 13.8% increase that just about everyone is going to get this year under the new formula VM are using (RPI + 3.9%).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/january/virgin-media-broadband-tv-phone-price-hikes-2023...

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Swf wrote:

Are you just coming out of contract?

If so this is normal as you'll no longer have a new customer discount.

"scammers and criminals" is a little drematic?

Plenty of other providers if you cannot afford.

Not really when the staf loses and committed fraud.    Not dramatic at all.  

And no it ends may 2024 .     

@nodrogd wrote:

£54 to £75 is the 13.8% increase that just about everyone is going to get this year under the new formula VM are using (RPI + 3.9%).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/january/virgin-media-broadband-tv-phone-price-hikes-2023...

10% of £54 is £5.40 

So 20% is  £10.80

So how is  13.8%   £21?  

Is this the virgins art of the maths ? 

Thanks for trying to help but the but the math doesn't work or am I wrong ?    I'm very confused.  

And thanks guys for your help 

unisoft
Well-informed

@Swf wrote:

Well they are not criminals or scammers and operating within the law. I know what you meant as it feels like that.

The team on here cant do package changes or retentions deals. You'll need to WHATSAPP or Phone in on 150 (cable phone ) or 0345 454 1111 at local call rate from another non-cable phone.

Renegotiate by using the "leaving Virgin" option on the telephone not standard customer services. You should get new customer pricing or near or sometimes even better. Be polite to VM retentions and explain what you are not happy about and the changes you want to make (you may decide your current BB speed isn't being utilised for example or want to reduce TV channels or reduce one service and add to another).

• Existing customers are cheaper than new as no free gifts (TV's Xbox Cashback as examples depending on the marketing for any given month), no need for VM to pay return postage for kit, no need to refurbish kit, no need to pay cashback to referral sites like quidco/topcashback.
  • There has to be a benefit to a customer like a discount because they are being locked into an 18 month contract again
  • Know your market prices for other providers Broadband, for example FTTC on NOWTV is 12 month or monthly only contact at £22. If you just want broadband only its going to easier than someone who wants landline and TV
  • Consider whether you need a lock in contract for TV services. Does VM's STREAM box offer the channels you want (its Freeview part is free) and can you go without recording facility and just use catch up players or have another device that does recording off Freeview (aerial) for example? Stream's Sky subscriptions channels is only £8 per month and a 30 day notice contract. You also get 10% back on many subscriptions like Netflix, Disney etc.
  • Ofcom rules mean you can currently exit your contract without penalty, as long as you do this within 30 days of being notified by VM; wait 3 months and be classed as a new customer and get new customer offers. Alternatively, many people on here sign up the next day in their partner's name.
  • Be prepared to give 30 days notice if the result isn't what you want, this gives you time to arrange BB installation by someone else and you can ring back in to cancel the cancel if you change your mind. During this time you **may** get a call from 2nd level retentions with a better offer. It's not guaranteed and they won't if you have marketing disabled in My Virgin Media under My Profile.
  • Despite annual price rises at ridiculous rates, new customer offers have been static for years (like Ultimate package hovers around £79-£85 often and sometimes with cashback or free gifts like a TV as just one example)

unisoft
Well-informed

@Swf wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

10% of £54 is £5.40 

So 20% is  £10.80

So how is  13.8%   £21?  

Is this the virgins art of the maths ? 

Thanks for trying to help but the but the math doesn't work or am I wrong ?    I'm very confused.  

And thanks guys for your help 

Calculation for increases are done from the original package full price not any discounted rates.....

My attraction to Virgin was purely the broadband speed (when I started with them they were the only fibre operator available). The TV package is comparable in price to Sky, BT etc

So for several years now Virgin have a monopoly. But recently BT fibre / City Fibre have been laying their infrastructure. My Virgin contract isnt up until October but that should give me a little bargaining power if they start hikingthe price up unacceptably.

archercj
Fibre optic

By the way many suppliers are liberal with their truth.

Take BT. They advertsise broadband deals with fibre essential and fibre 1. Oooh you think thats full fat fibre like Virgin. I can get up to a gig in speed. Ermm no. Its a fibre backbone connecting roadside cabinets and back to the exchange. The wiring from the cabinet to your home is still 'copper' or whatever they use and has a very limied maximum speed (maybe 50-60Mb). Ahh but if you sign up now you can have a  'free' upgrade to Full Fibre - whatever that is lol.