cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel o2 due to poor speed?

NewVolt2
Tuning in

Signed up for Volt and am awaiting install of VM broadband and TV - scheduled for Thursday so hoping all goes well...

I have received the o2 SIM, installed in my iPhone and have ported my mobile number from my old provider. Problem is that the connection speed is absolutely dire - I'm not getting any 5G signal indoors and 4G is about 5mbps.

My husband is on Three, has exactly the same phone, and get 500mbps download on 5G.

Given that the mobile data signal is so poor as to be unusable, can I cancel the contract and still keep the rest of Volt? There must be a minimum level of acceptable service for the o2 element of the Volt package..

Thanks in advance

(and yes, I have turned phone off/on, I have reset network settings, and I have tried in another iPhone)

3 REPLIES 3

Koda
Up to speed

Check status.o2.co.uk to see if there are any known problems with the network in your area. You can also try dropping to 3G if your settings allow and may find speeds are better with the less congested network technology there too. 

5Mbps on 4G is still VERY usable in all honesty. Is it slower than their competitors? Absolutely. But still enough to browse, download, stream on your phone etc. 

You can contact o2 Customer service if you're not happy. You have a 14 day cooling off period to cancel. Though there is a compliance team who do occasionally audit recent accounts and check Volt status. If you cancel in your cooling off period you technically aren't actually eligibile to retain your Volt benefits. Only if you leave after that. So it's your choice as to what you think is worthwhile for you, and if you want to try taking any risks. 

Officially speaking though. There are no concessions or special circumstances for cancelling in your cooling off period and keeping Volt even for people who genuinely don't get a 'usable' level of service.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey NewVolt2, thanks for joining our help forums and a warm welcome to the VM community.

We're sorry to hear of the issues with your O2 mobile signal when at home and that this makes want to cancel the mobile part of your deal.

We'd love to help, as we can see you've already been advised to check our coverage checker for the level of coverage you'd get by @Koda above.

Have you been able to view if the coverage in your post code is poor indoors and/or outdoors and if there's 5G signal coverage too since your last post?

Have you found any issues on any of our masts and the localO2 network which we're working on fixing currently where you are, perhaps?

Lastly, in regard to your question about Volt we'd like to confirm as being a Volt customer means being with both Virgin and O2 mobile, in case you'd cancel your O2 SIM this will unfortunately cause your Volt benefits to be removed, including any Volt discounts.

Please, check our Volt page here for more info on this.

Let us know more on the signal issues too, we're eager to assist.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have had no data at my home address since I took my contract in September due to a faulty mast. O2 don't care to be honest. I had some compensation but that does not make up for the fact I was not told this when it was sold to me as having excellent service in my area. I reduced my service down to a bare minimum due to the contract hikes and went back to ee for.the data as I have a dual sim phone.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode