cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel O2 sim and Keep VM deal

gorb
Tuning in

Got an email stating I can cancel the O2 sim and Virgin media due to the recent price increase. Can I cancel only the O2 sim and keep my current VM deal which expires in October?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

golden86
Dialled in

Yes it's possible, after receiving the price rise email.

I phoned O2 and asked to speak with retentions team. My first time was speaking with regular O2 customer service, lets say they are not very knowledgeable and insist on if I want to cancel I'll incur the usual early termination fee. Anyway after speaking with O2 retention team, I mentioned I received the Virgin Media email and that I want to cancel, they confirmed I was able to confirm before 28th March without cancellation fee, as she was proceeding with the cancellation I asked if she could change my package to the 15GB £8 deal, she was very happy to. 

Please be aware the £8 SIM only deal will rise to £9.xx during the april RPI change. This is unavoidable. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

An O2 SIM is an integral part of a Volt package.

If you cancel the O2 element, then your fixed-line services will need to be re-contracted without the bundle discount & extras that Volt attracts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It appears the options are:

• Cancel VM and O2 penalty free - although there are reports that O2 are refusing to cancel penalty free
  • Keep VM but can negotiate with O2 from the very costly new price of £29.32 unlimited to £10 for 8GB but need to agree a new 2 year contract

I don't know if you can reduce VM package e.g. to a non volt and cancel O2

This has become very complicated with 2 firms contradicting each other. One company they are not

Hi gorb 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. 

Once either O2 or VM is removed, you're no longer a Volt customer and therefore the tracker code on your account is removed. 

This means that at any point the Volt benefits such as the speed upgrade, Free WiFi pods and other benefits can be lost. 

You can keep track of your bill and account through My VM.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks for the reply.

Like most people when starting the contract I didn't think too much about the incredibly high cost of the sim and looked at the overall cost. Now that the Virgin cost is/will be increasing from £64 to £85.5 (inflation????) and the sim from £25 to £29.32 it has brought into focus the now high overall cost.

golden86
Dialled in

Yes it's possible, after receiving the price rise email.

I phoned O2 and asked to speak with retentions team. My first time was speaking with regular O2 customer service, lets say they are not very knowledgeable and insist on if I want to cancel I'll incur the usual early termination fee. Anyway after speaking with O2 retention team, I mentioned I received the Virgin Media email and that I want to cancel, they confirmed I was able to confirm before 28th March without cancellation fee, as she was proceeding with the cancellation I asked if she could change my package to the 15GB £8 deal, she was very happy to. 

Please be aware the £8 SIM only deal will rise to £9.xx during the april RPI change. This is unavoidable. 

Having 2 company's handling one contract is a disaster. According to the answer above if you had cancelled your O2 sim then if you had a VM volt package it would need to be renegotiated to a probably higher price. 

My volt package assumes an O2 sim at £25 (soon to be 29.32), should I change to ~ £10 per month hopefully it wont cause a negotiation either now or when my current contract expires.

ichisdeno
Joining in

So I got a good deal on a package, anytime landline calls, volt gig1 internet and an o2 sim with unlimited everything, but as I’ve noticed the o2 sim counts for £25 of the package in a separate contract to the virgin one, and i already have an o2 contract where i have unlimited minutes and 20gb of data for £8 which is due to be up next month, this new one is still 3 times as much though then theres the hassle of transferring my number to the new one - I’m within my 14 days still, can I hypothetically still cancel the o2 sim Or is there some contractual obligation at play here that I need to have both for the full length of the contract?

Ozzzy
Joining in

Hi I just signed up for the ultimate bolt package with an o2 sim via a friends discount. I want to cancel the o2 sim as I don’t need it. 

On this thread there are conflicting answers if I were to cancel would the VM package be affected.

I am still within my 14 days and they haven’t even come to install VM products yet (coming in a couple of days). 

I want to know can I cancel/ reduce my O2 sim tariff and keep my ultimate package?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Ozzzy,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

So if the SIM card was to be removed then the package would also need to be revised as all parts of the package would need to be present.

Regards,

Kain