cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed with Ultimate Volt?

s9750
On our wavelength

I have just renewed my contract moving from an ultimate Oomph package with M600 broadband to a new Ultimate Volt bundle. It activated on 26th April and seemed to go OK, new O2 Sim received and activated, UHD activated and Netflix email received and was able to log in and change my current Netflix account to Virgin Media one. I was away from home when it activated and when I returned noticed my broadband speed did not change. Should it not have been increased to Gig 1? I have just spent ages on Live chat/Whatsapp, and been told firstly, my new account will not be activated until 21/05/2022, not true as it is already active. When I questioned this, I was then told that Ultimate Volt only had Gig 1 if I already had a Hub 4, and that I would only be able to get M600. When I questioned this I was then told they could not help me and I would need to speak to the person who renewed my contract.

I am hoping that one of the agents here can maybe be a bit more helpful, and I am hoping that I am correct in questioning my speed, and lack of increase.

6 REPLIES 6

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What router do you have?

You need the Hub 4 for and if you haven't it can't go up

There is a shortage of Hub 4s, so basically Virgin are selling something they can't deliver.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

s9750
On our wavelength

I have a Hub 3 and knew I needed a new Hub 4. I have seen the posts about shortage, but thought that I should have been told you will get an increase when we have a new supply of Hub 4's and not been fed misinformation.

s9750
On our wavelength

I have just phoned retentions who I arranged the new contract with. The agent explained that the Gig 1 package has a fixed price and they cannot apply as big discounts to this package. That is why they left me on 600 speed and were able to apply a bigger discount. The Gig 1 would mean an increase of around £17 a month. So it looks like 600 can apply to Ultimate Volt as well.

Interestingly the agent also informed me that whichever Netflix package I chose would be covered by Virgin Volt package. I asked if that meant the top Netflix package would be included in my current monthly payment, and the reply was yes. I am a bit dubious about this one though.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @s9750 

You are right to be dubious regarding Netflix Premium.

Only the Netflix Standard plan is part of the free offering for customers on the Ultimate Volt bundle,the Biggest TV bundle and the Biggest TV Volt bundles.

Netflix Premium is an extra £5 per month on top of that.

It's possible that the discounts for packages including Gig1 are fixed, I can't comment on that. Offers do change all the time, and on a daily basis, but perhaps VM have indeed now decided to limit the amount of discount on the Gig1.

I have though seen posts on this forum and elsewhere, with people saying they have recontracted to (in the past to the now obsolete Ultmate Oomph package with Gig1) the current Ultimate Volt with Gig1 for the same price as they were paying on a discounted package with M600.  

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I would have thought if you have M600 you should be upgraded to 1 GIG for nothing as part of the Volt deal. I'm on the ultimate Volt bundle and Netflix premium is an extra £5 a month. Still £3 a month cheaper than Sky..

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

I was on Ultimate Ooomph with Gig1 and had 6 months of the contract left. I was frustrated by the speed drop that Virgin/EE to Virgin/Vodafone brought so I thought I'd try to switch to Volt for O2 (as a gamble).

My first phone call offered me the package at £85 broadband/TV and £25 O2 (now separate). That worked out as £9 more but I do get Netflix. BUT the operator told me that Gig1 was over subscribed for Volt and could offer me 600mb only. I politely declined the 'kind' offer.

Anyway a few days later I rang again and got the same offer but with Gig1 so I switched. 

O2 speed verdict - better than Vodafone but not a patch on EE.

Motto if at first you dont succeed ring back a few days later LOL