Re: youtube app removal

That's really useful. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Riccardinho
Joining in
Message 52 of 55
Flag for a moderator

So I have had the same issue, and found a solution that works and took minutes to implement. However, a caveat - I am using a third-party router (a Netgear Nighthawk R8000P) in place of the standard Virgin Super Hub 3 router. I already had the Netgear to get a stronger Wi-Fi signal (the Super Hub's range was poor). 

In the Netgear router settings, this was simple : Advanced -> Security -> Block Sites -> Block sites containing these keywords or domain names, add "youtube", Apply changes, job done.

Now in TiVo, when you try to launch YouTube, it just displays an error page saying access to the website has been restricted. 

It's been a while since I used the Super Hub, can't recall if it has a Block Sites feature, but this can be done via the Web Safe settings https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/websafe/settings. Just added youtube.com and hit Apply and this was restricted, so should also work even if you don't have a third party router. 

Hope this helps. 

Hadz
Joining in
Message 53 of 55
Flag for a moderator

This situation is ridiculous. Virgin Media could give parents the option to block the YouTube app but choose not to, for commercial reasons, and provide no other robust solution to prevent young children from viewing inappropriate content, at any time of day.

Is that not news worthy at least on a slow news day?

Can someone create an online petition?

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 54 of 55
Flag for a moderator

on sky you could delete the you tube app but it can easily be re-added. bt i was told you can't.

i don't see any petition garnishing much support. i know plenty of parents who do let their kids watch you tube. you tube have also stamped down on many channels for even the slightest thing. plenty of channels have been removed.

the app could be changed i guess but it would have to be done at you tube's end. any petition should be aimed at them. ultimately though 'business decisions' will always rule.

some have argued on here before that parents need to be more pro active. unless there is a case in the press of a young person being seriously affected after watching a you tube video, or they seriously affected others, i don't ever see things changing.

of course, if the you tube app were pin enabled, kids will just go elsewhere to access it, be it school, the playground, at a friends etc.  

0 Kudos
Biker2day
On our wavelength
Message 55 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate lots of parents are happy for their children to watch YouTube. I allow my own children to watch it, but supervised, and for a limited period. That doesn't stop me from wanting the ability to prevent them from watching it if I choose.

I disagree with the argument about parents being more proactive. This thread is filled with parents trying to be proactive and asking for advice on how to do that. Being proactive is exactly the point of this thread.  

In most schools children don't have access to phones in the playground, and certainly not before secondary school. However there's also a difference between being shocked at something over a friends shoulder, and sitting in the comfort of their own home with negative videos becoming normalised. As a parent you can't stop everything, but you can try to limit it where you believe there's a risk... at least you should be able to. 

I do agree that YouTube take down unauitable videos... however they amass thousands of followers before they become aware of them. It doesn't make YouTube a safe place for children. And a video deemed 'safe' to remain on YouTube doesn't mean it's suitable for young children.

As parents we are not demanding all children never have access to YouTube. We are simply asking that we have the option to make that choice ourselves.