Menu
tomrus72
Tuning in
Message 31 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Re: youtube app removal

Unfortunately not. And looking here it seems Virgin has not taken actions to acknoledge their customer multiple requests on this matter nor has plan to do it for the future..it might be time to switch provider..

0 Kudos
Biker2day
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Another parent here along for the ability to control access to YouTube. This isn't about parenting, at 9 they should be allowed to watch tv while I'm busy round the house. This is about safeguarding or children from inappropriate content. It seems ludicrous that I can use software to restrict content on a tablet, but there's no way to prevent access to inappropriate content from a TV. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 33 of 55
Flag for a moderator

See message 28

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 34 of 55
Flag for a moderator

If thre kids cannot get YouTube on a VM TV box, they can get it on a big range of other devices such a TVs, mobile phones, tablets, streaming players like Roku sticks and games consoles. Short of controlling WiFi access to these devices there's little else you can do bar watching them like a hawk.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
ElsaCat103
Tuning in
Message 35 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I can lock certain apps and put age restrictions on the computer, phone, tablet so that my child can not access inappropriate content. 

They use the kids’ version of YouTube on these other devices. Even through devices like Apple TV I can password protect different apps.

It is possible to password protect certain apps through the virgin box, just not the YouTube one. Hence my frustration.

Biker2day
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 55
Flag for a moderator

That's exactly why I'm frustrated. We try to be responsible, and as good as they are they are kids and we aren't able to sit with them 24/7. So to keep them safe they don't have phones, any devices they have access to are heavily controlled with time limits and age restrictions. We have hidden adult sites, have a pass code on recordings, so it's frustrating that I'm not able to protect them from viewing inappropriate content on YouTube. Somewhere which is widely known to contain incorporate content. Here's a good TedTalk about the subject: https://www.ted.com/talks/james_bridle_the_nightmare_videos_of_childrens_youtube_and_what_s_wrong_wi...

0 Kudos
robinwilli
Tuning in
Message 37 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I have pin protected the YouTube channel as I don’t want my kids sitting there watching the incessant rubbish on it. This isn’t about restricted mode etc, it’s about controlling what is available on the TV service I pay for. 

The pin protection works to an extent but my 11 yr old has found that if he goes to search and discover he can launch the app. Same as if he goes into the apps, he can launch it from there. 

Its really poor that virgin will not provide the ability to remove or lock unwanted apps. And before any condescending idiot mentions parenting, what do you think we are doing by trying to restrict what our kids watch ? 

Chattyone13
Settling in
Message 38 of 55
Flag for a moderator

You cannot PIN the YouTube app, only channels!

0 Kudos
BahnStormer
Dialled in
Message 39 of 55
Flag for a moderator

it looks like Virgin Media have removed this feature when they butchered the original TiVO software 😞

my 4yr old and 6yr old have recently worked out how to launch the app and twice in the last week, we've found them watching some REALLY creepy and inappropriate content, even though all the content restriction in YouTube is enabled (this "feature" is utterly useless)... I just want to code-lock or entirely block/remove a lot of those apps, especially the unfiltered, uncontrolled ones like YouTube....

If I have to lock the TiVo remote away to restrict this, then we might as well not have TiVo at all...

Generally, I was getting pretty fed up with Virgin continuing to block installing of useful TiVo apps like Amazon Prime Video... I keep on looking into ditching TiVo in favour of a more open FreeView/FreeSat tuner that hasn't removed core features, but this has just made the decision for me, sorry Virgin, but you can't drop the ball like this.

Biker2day
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting that way too. Other big companies have realised the importance of allowing parents to monitor/ restrict/ time bound. I don't understand how unrestricted access to something known to contain inappropriate material, on something as universal as a television, is seen as acceptable? Surely Virgin would be better to invest in this when it's clearly something lots of parents are calling out for. 

0 Kudos