Menu
bbwright
Tuning in
Message 8 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

uktv

does this mean my bill will go down i pay 94.90 and losing uktv is a big thing for me thinking of going to sky

glevai
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Good Buy UKTV

It looks like there will be no more UKTV channels on virgin media on sunday as they have already announce new channels numbers here which will replace the UKTV channel line up https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/New-Channels/ba-p/3775403

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/uktv/uktv-channels-set-for-chop-from-virgin/5131062.article

so it looks like a lot of people might be calling/leaving on Monday and moving over to sky since Virgin Media cant come to agreement over stupid box set deals. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good Buy UKTV

Whilst Ill miss Dave, personally I think its a good move from the POV that alegedly  box sets are the sticking point.

Thats how our household consumes TV these days and I know we aren't alone.

SO basically, Ill wait to see- if VM can pull more boxsets I want to watch out of the deal with whatever channels replace UKTV, especially if they can be streamed on demand, its a good deal for subscribers.

I pay a licence fee, although I watch next to know broadcast TV, the least the UKTV (read BBC) peeps could do is provide access to historic content on demand and streaming,

TBF I want to know what Ill gain for my subscription fee to VM ATM. They have talked it up, time to deliver.

Theres also a major fly in the ointment. It doesn't count as a contract change so you cant cancel FOC, although VM have changed the offering. Thats  a bit rich, especially as a low tier subscriber has now lost a clatter of channels available on free-view....

glevai
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

i would watch box sets or on demand but they tend not to be in HD so that just puts me off watching them so i just end up recording the show in HD and watching it later on. Its a shame we are going to loss these channels especial alibi since they have Quantico,Harrow,Carter which are great shows.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

@glevai wrote:
i would watch box sets or on demand but they tend not to be in HD so that just puts me off watching them so i just end up recording the show in HD and watching it later on. Its a shame we are going to loss these channels especial alibi since they have Quantico,Harrow,Carter which are great shows.

Exactly my point, we SHOULD have OD in HD , if available. So if VM are as good as their press release, we will see an increase in such content, if not they are FOS.

I know what my moneys on, but maybe Im too cynical. Smiley Wink

Then theres the fact that people need enough bandwidth between their HUB and V6 to stream in HD, AND enough bandwidth WAN side....dont get me started on that.....

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

things will only get worse. with bt,sky,virgin,netflix,amazon all asking for pieces of the pie, all that will happen is everyone loses.

this forum will be busy come midnight sunday.....

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

@jamesofmerton wrote:

things will only get worse. with bt,sky,virgin,netflix,amazon all asking for pieces of the pie, all that will happen is everyone loses.

this forum will be busy come midnight sunday.....

Yeah, think Ill like hide in a ditch somewhere.

Storms-Coming.jpg

scatterkeir
Up to speed
Message 7 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

I rarely watch anything on demand, too many recordings on the TiVo to watch. It would be nice for the programmes from these channels to be available on demand for those that want that but it's not going to be any comfort to those people to know that I'm no longer able to record them. On Full House, I see nothing that appeals in the replacement offerings. If this situation is long-term, then I might think about going down to a lower bundle next chance I get. If it's just for show as part of a negotiating game then they really need to make a more convincing 'we can get on fine without you!' display than the current one.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Re: uktv

Nope!

Virgin are providing a replacement for every channel being removed under your contract.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dodgem21
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Re: uktv

A replacement hardly helps when quite a few of the replacements are on freeview anyway and your favourite programmes happen to be on  the lost channels.

Cant have them on demand so they decide we wont have them at all. Thanks Virgin. Your favourite chocolate is a Yorkie well we are taking it away and giving you a milky way as a replacement, You dont like Milky ways Tough. 

I watch Gold and Watch a lot they were the only channels which have kept me from going freeview only guess I will now be downgrading my package.

As you may have guessed Im rather annoyed about this situation. I really hope they can pull a last minute deal out of the hat.