Menu
plums1234
On our wavelength
Message 81 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Re: uktv

Gobsmacked by this, I'm on the VIP bundle and in contract but 80% whats watched in my house will now not be available through my subscription, can we definitely cancel due to the service no longer being fit for my purpose? As looks like we have no choice but go back to Sky.

0 Kudos
dave_dph
Superfast
Message 82 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Gave my 30 day notice today, was already out of my minimum term. Been a customer since 1995.

nature0
Tuning in
Message 83 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

I'm signing up with Sky tomorrow. Most of what I watch is on Alibi

nature0
Tuning in
Message 84 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

I'm thinking of dumping the broadband and phone lines too as I can now get fibre here and it would give me more choice of provider. Really, I just needed an excuse to dump VM and this it it.

0 Kudos
unisoft
Fibre optic
Message 85 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

@p-con wrote:

A lot of people are complaining about this on Twitter, unfortunately everyone is just getting the same standard reply:

"Unfortunately, due to the restrictions put on UKTV by the BBC, UKTV is not able to provide the significant on-demand programming that we know our customers want"

It doesn't say what those restrictions are, or what the significant on-demand programming is, that we apparently want!

This is NOT a BBC/BBC Studios issue!

It is Virgin trying to get stuff on the cheap by throwing their weight around to get bigger access to more of the archive material rather than concentrate on linear television channels and the offered on demand content. They want a Netflix type back catalogue and the BBC does not want to give it away to a commercial provider who stands to make most from it through subscription fees because it may not be available to free to air customers for example if agreement made.

GOLD, ALIBI etc. are likely to go free to air, albeit in reduced channel count and may be new names longer term once they partner with ITV or Channel 4. Going free to air but charging for archive on demand content access may be more favourable model. Drama and Dave have done very well being free to air.

What Virgin forget is that MOST Virgin subscribers can get Freeview or Freesat as an alternative so their 4M viewers are not exclusively locked in, and UKTV/BBC know this. They won't lose 4M viewers as a result, but Virgin stand to lose a lot of TV customers once contracts run out, or for those where they are not in contract but annoyed having to switch to another HDMI input source or to the TV Tuner source Smiley Wink NOW TV offers GOLD, SKY1, Atlantic, Arts, SyFy, MTV, NAT Geo Wild and Discovery for a cheap price per month without contract, so customers will just put strain on Broadband by using those services if they are enough for their needs.

nature0
Tuning in
Message 86 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

I really couldn't care less about On Demand - it's usually too slow to watch anyway. I can always record something I'm not around to watch. I used to rate On Demand years ago, but it's now so slow I never use it.

Charlie9325
Tuning in
Message 87 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Loss of UKTV

Looking up available channels and they are still showing the Uktv channels that are being dropped as being available.

It's said that most of them are available on freeview but this means jumping about between providers and not bring able to record. It's a lot of channels to lose without an adjustment in rates. I for one will be reviewing my options as VM have went too far

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ianlawes
Just joined
Message 88 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Is it true.....

.... that you were demanding the uktv lower their prices to suit you?

You're as bad as tesco

0 Kudos
Rockula
On our wavelength
Message 89 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin losing UKTV Play Channels

It would appear that I should downgrade my Virgin TV package from 'Full' to 'Mix'.

The £14 saving would then cover the £8 cost of the online 'TV Player' which has all the channels Virgin is losing.

Then I plug my laptop into my TV using an HDMI cable and carry on watching.

And be £6 better off a month into the bargain.

And my 'NOW' TV covers the Sky Atlantic I don't get from Virgin anyway.

But....so many remotes. Ha ha.

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 90 of 1,756
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it true.....

As bad as ASDA