Menu
Dot51
Settling in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

stv hub

What is going on in Scotland.  STV hub is useless not user friendly same as BBC iplayer - you cannot fast forward - its just a pain.  Why is it decreed that all STV channels are HD only??????  Virgin stop it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: stv hub

Nothing to do with virgin, the broadcaster decides what channels are available and they write the app 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Dot51 wrote:

Why is it decreed that all STV channels are HD only??????

The HD only thing is combination of strategies. Some channels are now only launching in HD - for instance the Smithsonian channel is only in HD on everything except Freeview.

The other reason is that for Virgin Media there is no reason to carry SD only channels now. There are no more SD only boxes active on the network. For the boxes that are still active, the V+ HD, V HD and TiVo boxes can all output HD channels via SCART (and the V+ HD and V boxes are being decommissioned as we speak) and the V6 is HD only too.

So there is no need to duplicate an HD channel in SD where they are exactly the same. This frees up network capacity for Virgin to do other things. Either more channels or updates to the broadband services.

STV has gone HD only because all the same regional outputs of STV are now available in HD, so there is no need to have SD versions.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@Dot51 wrote:

Why is it decreed that all STV channels are HD only??????

The HD only thing is combination of strategies. Some channels are now only launching in HD - for instance the Smithsonian channel is only in HD on everything except Freeview.

Not strictly true. The channel is in HD & SD on Sky (channels 195 & 889 respectively). Freesat viewers only get HD within their EPG, but can manually tune the SD channel if required.

Smithsonian.jpg

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I don't have Sky and it wasn't obvious from most of the press releases they were doing that.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos