Menu
Reply
  • 30
  • 0
  • 36
kim1963
On our wavelength
582 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

price rises

Another price rise? Really? For what? Keeping UKTV channels that we already had in first place? you really do take the P***. Had enough now.

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 806
  • 56
  • 251
dante01
Well-informed
567 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises

I'm not by any means excusing it, but it is normal practice for companies such as Virgin Media to impose an annual price increase. You'll find that most if not all of Virgin Media's competitors will also be increasing their prices and that the increases will roughly all equate to the same amounts. It isn't just Virgin Media doing this and it has become standard practice right the way across the industry. Whether the levels of increase are justified is a matter for Ofcom to decide upon.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 657
  • 39
  • 107
praxis
Rising star
549 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises


@dante01 wrote:

I'm not by any means excusing it, but it is normal practice for companies such as Virgin Media to impose an annual price increase. You'll find that most if not all of Virgin Media's competitors will also be increasing their prices and that the increases will roughly all equate to the same amounts. It isn't just Virgin Media doing this and it has become standard practice right the way across the industry. Whether the levels of increase are justified is a matter for Ofcom to decide upon.


I think the main issue here is the price rise coming so soon after the UKTV mess up subscribers will now see this as an added bill for getting the channels back and given the fact that there was information posted on here saying that Gold HD and the on demand programming would be back by the 15th and neither have turned up it’s only going to add fuel to the fire.I think this could cost VM a few more customers jumping ship to Sky & other suppliers to take up the new customer special offers.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 21
  • 0
  • 13
NotGoodEnough
On our wavelength
532 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises


@praxis wrote:

@dante01 wrote:

I'm not by any means excusing it, but it is normal practice for companies such as Virgin Media to impose an annual price increase. You'll find that most if not all of Virgin Media's competitors will also be increasing their prices and that the increases will roughly all equate to the same amounts. It isn't just Virgin Media doing this and it has become standard practice right the way across the industry. Whether the levels of increase are justified is a matter for Ofcom to decide upon.


I think the main issue here is the price rise coming so soon after the UKTV mess up subscribers will now see this as an added bill for getting the channels back and given the fact that there was information posted on here saying that Gold HD and the on demand programming would be back by the 15th and neither have turned up it’s only going to add fuel to the fire.I think this could cost VM a few more customers jumping ship to Sky & other suppliers to take up the new customer special offers.


Or the fact that Virgin media are saying these huge price increases were already necessary before the uktv fiasco when vm presumably thought they could save a few quid and no one would mind that they took away a number of "linear dinosaurs" without notice and without thinking any one would care, or not thinking that itv would take advantage of the situation by raising their charges, or that customer services would be flat out dealing with renegotiations and terminations. Now or course people who think they have negotiated £3 a month off token gesture out of principal and agreed new 12 month contracts, will be receiving letters saying that "agreed contract" is going up £5 a month, with no guarantees there won't be more huge increases to follow.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 13.65K
  • 1.43K
  • 2.89K
Superuser
Superuser
500 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises

These price rises were in the pipeline long before the UKTV fiasco started.

There are 2 significant rulings by OFCOM that will shortly affect ALL providers (& hit their profits) amongst all the other increasing costs..

One is automatic compensation for outages (where you previously had to claim it to get it.)

The other is mandatory free caller display on landlines, which VM & some operators have been charging for.

PS. Any customers that got a discount for losing UKTV channels will not pay the increase.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
  • 21
  • 0
  • 13
NotGoodEnough
On our wavelength
481 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises

Won't affect the free providers (Freeview and Freesat) of course and they don't have regular outrages or force old fashioned landlines on you that most people don't seem to want, need or use. I've actually now come to accept virgin medias opinion that most channels probably are "linear dinosaurs". After taking a close look, the last majority of what I watch is on Freeview/Freesat and most of the rest will be a few months later. I'm probably paying virgin over £5 an hour for what little pay TV I actually watch these days. Unfortunately for vm I have no interest in their on demand services but good luck to those who want to rewatch EastEnders from episode 1 or whatever else they seem to think the future holds for what people want to watch. I won't miss it. Most of what I had left on TiVo is just repeats anyway that TiVo keeps recording over again.
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 806
  • 56
  • 251
dante01
Well-informed
474 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises

There's no obligation to take a landline in association with any provider. There are still quite a lot of people who want and who are dependant upon landlines. I myself am disabled and need one. The fact that you may get a discount if taking additional service such as a phone as part of a bundle deal is quite different to being forced to take additional services you do not want. If it results in you getting other services for less then why is it an issue if a service you don't use is included within your package?

Freeview and Freesat have no bearing upon the price rises imposed by the paid TV providers or telcomunications companies. You are free to leave paid providers once out of contract and use the free services if you so wish. Many don't because they see value in what the paid option has to offer them, plus the fact that the channels you'd get via the free services are not like for like when compared to what you get in association with the paid services. They are not the one and the same thing. Besides which, the free services do periodically increase the EPG listing prices that they charge the channels aired via those services so it isn't as though they aren't also charging more. It is just a matter of who they are charging. Channel 4 recently fell out with Freesat and removed their HD channels due to increases in the EPG charges that were being levied.

It has to be said though that landline telephone provision charges should technically be decreasing as opposed to increasing because it is now cheaper and getting cheaper for providers to facilitate such services. Ofcom have scrutinised price increased in the past due to this fact.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 25.49K
  • 1.06K
  • 4.12K
Superuser
Superuser
416 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises

"There's no obligation to take a landline in association with any provider. "
That is not true.
Currently, i have no VM or Infinity so i have to have a phone line. DSL requires it.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 257
  • 2
  • 23
annorax
Superfast
410 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises


@NotGoodEnough wrote:
Won't affect the free providers (Freeview and Freesat) of course and they don't have regular outrages or force old fashioned landlines on you that most people don't seem to want, need or use. I've actually now come to accept virgin medias opinion that most channels probably are "linear dinosaurs". After taking a close look, the last majority of what I watch is on Freeview/Freesat and most of the rest will be a few months later. I'm probably paying virgin over £5 an hour for what little pay TV I actually watch these days. Unfortunately for vm I have no interest in their on demand services but good luck to those who want to rewatch EastEnders from episode 1 or whatever else they seem to think the future holds for what people want to watch. I won't miss it. Most of what I had left on TiVo is just repeats anyway that TiVo keeps recording over again.

A lot of people still use a landline. BT, Sky, Talk Talk and all the other ISP's that uses BT's network still rely on an old fashioned  landline to get to get their services to your premises. Just because you use a mobile phone for your phone calls doesn't mean everybody else does.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 298
  • 9
  • 228
grahamtriggs
Fibre optic
399 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: price rises


@apcyberax wrote:
"There's no obligation to take a landline in association with any provider. "
That is not true.
Currently, i have no VM or Infinity so i have to have a phone line. DSL requires it.

Strictly speaking, that's not true. If I run the broadband checker, it shows that WBC SOGEA is available - that is a reference for standalone VDSL service.

Technically, it will still be delivered down a copper phone wire, so it's a bit of an arbitrary distinction - but in theory I wouldn't have to take a phone service.

0 Kudos
Reply