Menu
Waggers58
Joining in
Message 71 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Local News

I don't like this attitude that I should be happy with what I'm given. Other operators have found a way to provide the local services relevant to where I live.

I'm given 159 KMTV (which is Kent) but not 871 Meridian South East. Why not?

Surely there is some capacity in the system. I'm given 861 BBC1 Eng which is duplicated as 101, 865 BBC2 Engl same as 102, also I get 862 BBC Scot, 863 BBC NI and 864 BBC1 Wales, none of which are relevant to me or anyone in London. I strikes me someone is not trying hard enough to come up with a creative solution to this issue.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 72 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Local News

@Waggers58wrote:
I don't like this attitude that I should be happy with what I'm given. Other operators have found a way to provide the local services relevant to where I live.

As previously discussed, you're getting what the franchise rules for your area say you should be getting for the ITV and BBC regions. Different operators have different technology and are operating under different broadcast licences.

@Waggers58wrote:

I'm given 159 KMTV (which is Kent) but not 871 Meridian South East. Why not?

Because the broadcast licences and rules will cover different geographical areas. KMTV is a recent channel launch, whereas the rules for which ITV region you get may have been set 20 - 30 years ago.

@Waggers58wrote:
Surely there is some capacity in the system. I'm given 861 BBC1 Eng which is duplicated as 101, 865 BBC2 Engl same as 102, also I get 862 BBC Scot, 863 BBC NI and 864 BBC1 Wales, none of which are relevant to me or anyone in London. I strikes me someone is not trying hard enough to come up with a creative solution to this issue.

You get those channels because it'll be again part of the rules around which BBC channels Virgin Media must carry across their cable service. Although for London 861 is the same as 101, it wouldn't be for anywhere else in the country. Again, 865 isn't the same as 102 for most of the country, as there are regional differences in BBC 2 schedules. I believe they're there in part for the Audio Description services as they need to have a single schedule for each channel.

It's also easier for national BBC channels to be carried as they fed from a central location. Whereas regional BBC channel variations come from a local broadcast centre, so it's more complication to feed that into a different regional headend.

If you've got a TiVo or Virgin TV V6 box, I'm pretty sure you can get regional BBC News via the iPlayer app on the box.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own