Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 61 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Local News

@Tomsy2112 wrote:

Hi Dale

i have the wrong local news too ! I live in Exeter in devon and my local news is Wales ! Lol !

but your reasons given in previous posts doesnt add up because my next door neighbours local news is correcly south west !

can you explain this for me then ?

regards

steve

It does add up actually. If you are getting the wrong regions in Exeter on 101 & 103 then the box is using the wrong NIT codes which is putting the Welsh channels (which along with Scotland & Northern Ireland are carried nationally on VM) in the wrong place. The south west does not yet have an ITV HD local region available on cable. Give VM a call & they will force the correct headend NIT through the box. If it keeps losing it then it will need replacing. Its an unusual fault but I have come across it before.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Linsan
Tuning in
Message 62 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I also receive the wrong local news channel, not only on 103 but also on 113 and 114. Just came of the phone after 70 minutes to a 2nd line support tech who informed me Meridian don't broadcast in HD or +1 so my default is London, sorry VM but wrong in both cases.

As they were unable to sort out my complaint its now gone to "deadlock" and I'll shortly receive a letter which I can use to involve an ombudsman.

Looking back at this thread its been the same since 2012, come on VM this would take a tech savvy kid out of school about an hour to sort out over all regions..

Superuser
Superuser
Message 63 of 72
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

Hi, I also receive the wrong local news channel, not only on 103 but also on 113 and 114. Just came of the phone after 70 minutes to a 2nd line support tech who informed me Meridian don't broadcast in HD or +1 so my default is London, sorry VM but wrong in both cases.

As they were unable to sort out my complaint its now gone to "deadlock" and I'll shortly receive a letter which I can use to involve an ombudsman.

Looking back at this thread its been the same since 2012, come on VM this would take a tech savvy kid out of school about an hour to sort out over all regions..

VM support are correct in that Meridian South does not have an HD service. All of the Meridian region receives Meridian South East HD. The same with the +1 loop equipment, which is only installed at Maidstone.

The situation with the network will not change & all the authorities know this. It was a government body the caused the issue in the first place & the original cable franchise areas are still enshrined in law, despite the fact that VM effectively now runs all of them. Even if the Cable & Broadcasting Act 1984 was repealed, VM are not going to spend millions re-plumbing the system for a couple of hours programming a day on one channel.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 64 of 72
Flag for a moderator

having worked with and against the ombudsman and seen nodrogds excellent info below i would say the ombudsman will not rule in your favour.
Linsan
Tuning in
Message 65 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

It is the Meridian South East I want which is freely available on channel 871 but not on +1

I'm sure the people in Manchester, Devon or where ever they nay reside don't have to watch ITV London,if their channels can be amended to suit the region why cant everybody's.

Just don't understand why VM don't accept they are wrong and correct the channels, there is no argument why this cant be done.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 66 of 72
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

Hi,

It is the Meridian South East I want which is freely available on channel 871 but not on +1

I'm sure the people in Manchester, Devon or where ever they nay reside don't have to watch ITV London,if their channels can be amended to suit the region why cant everybody's.

Just don't understand why VM don't accept they are wrong and correct the channels, there is no argument why this cant be done.

As far as the cable system is concerned you are downstream of a London cable headend & in a London cable Franchise area. If Virgin put Meridian South East on channel 103 in your area a huge chunk of south London would get the wrong region & they I'm sure would be very happy about that. There is a legacy feed that was added as you have already found (871) but that is all you will get. Every customer downstream of a headend gets the same channels on the same numbers. The cable system allows channels to be added, but not swapped.

VirginMediaTVRegionsforremoterecording (2).jpgLondon cable franchises in yellow

Linsan
Tuning in
Message 67 of 72
Flag for a moderator

So you are saying they can do it for BBC South East but not ITV, dont think so, its just a poor excuse from a vast profit making VM who cant be **bleep** to invest some of it to correct an obvious error. If I lived in Ashford which is 10 miles away I wold receive ITV Meridian but instead I live 45 miles away from London and I'm stuck with ITV London.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 68 of 72
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

So you are saying they can do it for BBC South East but not ITV, dont think so, its just a poor excuse from a vast profit making VM who cant be **bleep** to invest some of it to correct an obvious error. If I lived in Ashford which is 10 miles away I wold receive ITV Meridian but instead I live 45 miles away from London and I'm stuck with ITV London.

Its not an error. The networks were built & are operated according to the legislation passed in Parliament & the cable regulators (now OFCOM) rules. The law is an ass I know, but we all have to live with it.

Waggers58
Joining in
Message 69 of 72
Flag for a moderator

OK so I'm in the London cable headend (bordering South East).  I accept that. 

I am getting BBC1 South East on channel 858, but why am I not getting anything on 871?  I would have expected Meridian South East. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 70 of 72
Flag for a moderator

@Waggers58wrote:

OK so I'm in the London cable headend (bordering South East).  I accept that. 

I am getting BBC1 South East on channel 858, but why am I not getting anything on 871?  I would have expected Meridian South East. 

You get whatever is fed to that headend. I know of a couple of headends in the London area that straddle 3 seperate regions. The legacy feeds on these have one channel from one region & one from another. One of these is Basildon which feeds both sides of the Thames, & I believe carries BBC South East & Anglia East on the alternates.

0 Kudos