Menu
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 51 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Local News

Well, I have a Tivo box. This definitely has internet connectivity. So, why is it not just a simple software switch for those of us that DO have a modern box. Blaming people with old boxes is not a reasonable answer. 

0 Kudos
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 52 of 72
Flag for a moderator

And 8 years is hardly a few years (Tivo was introduced in 2009). I would say that the uptake on Tivo has probably been quite high. Plus I remember some older boxes having an ethernet connection. You recomended people using iPlayer but that's only available on boxes WITH internet connections on their boxes. ANY Tivo box has the technical ability. It's just not been programmed in!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 53 of 72
Flag for a moderator

The Ethernet connections on the older boxes were never connected to anything. They certainly did not have internal modems. VHD & V+HD boxes were still being given to new customers until 2014.

As you say, all the regions are available via the iPlayer, so why should VM spend money making any alterations.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

japitts
Knows their stuff
Message 54 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Without wishing to state the obvious, your Tivo certainly does have the technical ability to view any BBC regional news via IP. Load up your iPlayer app and hey presto. Using the live restart option, you can even watch them near-live as well - though you'll have to change your region-setting in real-time to manage that.

0 Kudos
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 55 of 72
Flag for a moderator

1. Have you ever tried running iPlayer from your Tivo. It's truly tedious. Nearly always fails, buffers and is shockingly bad.

2. We are talking here about ITV Meridian News. BBC comes through as SouthEast just fine (Which is weird as that isn't covered in Essex, so according to this so-called 'super'-user, most of Essex get SouthEast news as they are on the same NIT). But ITV comes in as London despite being 30 miles out of London and right in the Middle of the Meridian area.

3. Regardless of OLDER boxes which are not the argument here, the newer Tivo boxes should easily be able to be configured to have their channel numbers and channels reconfigured and would not involve 'billions' (as previously quoted) to achieve.

4. @nodrogd, As a Super 'USER', you are clearly the wrong person to talk to here! We need a representative from VIRGIN MEDIA to answer this question. Someone who can actually get things done rather than some ex-tech who misdirects questions using antiquated reasoning based on old technology. This is the 2nd decade of the 21st century. All we're asking for is one number being swapped with another on a jumped up Java device - It's seriously not that tricky. I could write the code in my sleep if it's beyond VM. 20mins tops!

japitts
Knows their stuff
Message 56 of 72
Flag for a moderator

@seaniepie wrote:

1. Have you ever tried running iPlayer from your Tivo. It's truly tedious. Nearly always fails, buffers and is shockingly bad.

Yes, and after a minute or so loading it works pretty well. A bit of buffering for maybe 30seconds as the stream settles down and then perfect. Perhaps you have some congestion in your area or an issue with your box.

@seaniepie wrote:

3. Regardless of OLDER boxes which are not the argument here, the newer Tivo boxes should easily be able to be configured to have their channel numbers and channels reconfigured and would not involve 'billions' (as previously quoted) to achieve.

@4. @nodrogd, As a Super 'USER', you are clearly the wrong person to talk to here! We need a representative from VIRGIN MEDIA to answer this question. Someone who can actually get things done rather than some ex-tech who misdirects questions using antiquated reasoning based on old technology. This is the 2nd decade of the 21st century. All we're asking for is one number being swapped with another on a jumped up Java device - It's seriously not that tricky. I could write the code in my sleep if it's beyond VM. 20mins tops!

It seems you're being given sensible answers by someone who clearly knows a bit about Virgin's network architecture and you're still arguing. So either you're never going to accept any solutions that you don't like, or you know better and therefore are presumably quite senior in VM and know better.

0 Kudos
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 57 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Being a ‘senior’ in VM is not a prerequisite of ‘knowing better’ (with that argument you are simply trying to invoke patronism and belittle my intelligence or knowledge - fail!). The real problem is that ‘senior’ members of VM, especially those who might be able to deal with software issues in their boxes, do not listen in to these conversations. And dear members of VM, like Rose, who do listen in are out of their depth to answer these questions it would seem, based on their lack of response. So, in a sense you are correct that I will never get a solution. To be fair, no one has offered a ‘solution’ as yet. A workaround is not a solution. The solution is to make the software inside the boxes more relevant to the customer. A ‘sensible’ answer does not steer away from the main issue to argue irrelevant, out of date reasoning however far up or down the business structure. If either of you can actually offer a real sensible ‘solution’ then, by all means reply. If all you can do is try to belittle the customers of VM on here then it would be best to just keep quiet.
0 Kudos
seaniepie
Tuning in
Message 58 of 72
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to add that I have always had issues with iPlayer so maybe you are right about my box. But, like I’ve said, this goes without saying! There are a lot of issues with my box apparently. 200Mb broadband, iPlayer on Apple TV is perfect. On a TiVo V5+ it is appalling. Continually buffering throught playback even on SD programmes.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 59 of 72
Flag for a moderator

@seaniepie wrote:
Being a ‘senior’ in VM is not a prerequisite of ‘knowing better’ (with that argument you are simply trying to invoke patronism and belittle my intelligence or knowledge - fail!). The real problem is that ‘senior’ members of VM, especially those who might be able to deal with software issues in their boxes, do not listen in to these conversations. And dear members of VM, like Rose, who do listen in are out of their depth to answer these questions it would seem, based on their lack of response. So, in a sense you are correct that I will never get a solution. To be fair, no one has offered a ‘solution’ as yet. A workaround is not a solution. The solution is to make the software inside the boxes more relevant to the customer. A ‘sensible’ answer does not steer away from the main issue to argue irrelevant, out of date reasoning however far up or down the business structure. If either of you can actually offer a real sensible ‘solution’ then, by all means reply. If all you can do is try to belittle the customers of VM on here then it would be best to just keep quiet.

Well I'll leave VM staff to answer, that's if they bother too, as more often than not I have had to help them out with questions about most of the original build & networking arrangements. I have had this argument already more times than I can remember & it won't change anything. VM are fulfilling all their obligations are far as channel availability are concerned. If they weren't then OFCOM would have forced them to change the situation a long time ago.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Tomsy2112
Just joined
Message 60 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dale

i have the wrong local news too ! I live in Exeter in devon and my local news is Wales ! Lol !

but your reasons given in previous posts doesnt add up because my next door neighbours local news is correcly south west !

can you explain this for me then ?

regards

steve

0 Kudos